Satori Smart calibration question

Satori, Swing, Sirius, Speedmatic, Rollers

Moderators: malfukt, Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Nasz, Fortius Magical Man

pushstart

Satori Smart calibration question

Post by pushstart » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:34 am

I just set up my new Satori Smart and was going about trying to calibrate it. My understanding from the minimal instructions in the quickstart guide suggest that I should:
1) Turn unit on. Confirm that red light is blinking slowly (1 x per second).
2) Pedal up to 40kph (or above?) at which point the light will begin flashing very quickly (4x/sec)
3) Stop pedaling (and let wheel just spin down to a stop? or apply brakes?) at which point the light should flash 2x/sec (?)

I can do steps number (1) and (2); however, I'm not seeing a 2x/sec flash after the wheel spins back to a stop from the 40kph calibration effort. Once when I was trying this, it seemed like there was a brief double flash (2x/sec) after I stopped pedaling, but then it shifts back to blinking 1x/sec.

Is this normal behavior -- and is it then correctly calibrated?

Also, is calibration used to zero out the wattage or for something else? I ask because when I first setup the trainer, uncalibrated, the wattage numbers were crazy high. After calibration attempts (unsure whether they were successful), it seems like the wattage is a little more normal, though I don't have a power meter to compare, so I kinda want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. The whole point of getting the Smart unit was to have power data; not much good to me if that can't be trusted :)

I also tried using the Android app; however, that doesn't seem to really work. Once I get over 40kph on the android app it just stays there telling me to pedal 40kph; eventually it switches to a screen that says my tire is "too loose" -- no matter how hard I tighten it. If I stop pedaling at 40kph (when I see the lights on the unit start flashing 4x/sec), the dialog in the app just stays open forever as if frozen, saying I need to pedal 40kph and displaying the last speed before I stopped pedaling. Feels very buggy.

Thanks in advance! (And I apologize if this is covered elsewhere; my searching for "Satori Smart calibration" didn't seem to find the answer.)

dermate

Re: Satori Smart calibration question

Post by dermate » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:04 pm

Hi,

same here, the Android app has the same identical bahaviour, no matter what I do: loosen, tighten, etc. I'm using Tacx Trainer Tyre at pressure 8, perfectly trued.

Didn't know about the calibration without the app, will give it a try.

Also the cadence data is sent out via BT/ANT+ in a weird way: very fluctuating, it jumps here and there (from 20 to 50 to 100) every second, and it is absolutely useless and inconsistent.

Felling very disappointed.

Regards

Riccardo

pushstart

Post by pushstart » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:18 pm

Yes, I will follow up. I have used the trainer a few times now. The normal (without app) calibration does seem to work, even if the instructions are a little confusing. I calibrate it by just spinning up to ~40km/h (the light starts blinking fast) and then I just stop pedaling and let it spin to a stop. After that the unit seems to behave predictably and although I don't have anything to compare it to, the power numbers seem like they'd be within parameters.

I have not used the cadence values the Satori broadcasts. I have a separate cadence (magnet) and speed sensor I am using, so I can't comment on that.

I will note that I have experienced some big power spikes on one of my rides; I'm not sure why this happened. On my subsequent trainer ride I ensured that I didn't have anything running during calibration and also that I wasn't doing any "sprinting". I had no issues the second time. The power spikes are frustrating because they skew things like average power for the entire ride -- e.g. when then spike is 35kw! One review I read said that the power spikes only happen over ANT+ (not BT). I don't have a BT setup to validate that claim, but may be worth exploring if you have apps that can integrate with BT.

Finally, I will note that this trainer does not do well with hard sprinting efforts. I know that they claim it only supports 800 watts resistance for any sustained period, and that should be taken seriously. I was trying for the polka dot jersey in Zwift and apparently exceeded the 800watts for over 10 seconds and the power numbers went off the charts. I got the jersey, I guess, but it wasn't legit. So sadly this trainer doesn't lend itself to competitive Zwift :) -- But it works great for FTP tests and regular interval workouts, which was more the point for me.

dermate

Post by dermate » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi there,

If I go out and buy a new ANT+ cadence sensor, how can I tell the Edge 510 to ignore the Satori sensor and to receive data from the new sensor only?

pushstart

Post by pushstart » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:46 pm

dermate wrote:Hi there,

If I go out and buy a new ANT+ cadence sensor, how can I tell the Edge 510 to ignore the Satori sensor and to receive data from the new sensor only?
I think if you unpair "Forget" the power speed/cadence sensor and then search for cadence/speed sensor while the Satori is *off* you should be good to go. My 510 was already paired with my speed/cadence sensor before I hooked up the Satori, so I never even realized that the Satori also was broadcasting speed/cadence until I went to setup my laptop for Zwift.

dermate

Post by dermate » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:37 pm

Thank you much!

Regards

Riccardo

dermate

Post by dermate » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:22 am

"I'm not seeing a 2x/sec flash after the wheel spins back to a stop from the 40kph calibration effort"

Same here. Not working?

pushstart

Post by pushstart » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:17 pm

dermate wrote:"I'm not seeing a 2x/sec flash after the wheel spins back to a stop from the 40kph calibration effort"

Same here. Not working?
I think it (the calibration) might be still working, but the instructions (and/or the led pattern they chose) seem poor.

I say "it is working", although this hasn't ever quite worked 100% for me. Most recently, my trainer's ANT+ power readings (and probably other sensors) started just suddenly stopping in the middle of rides -- and then starting back up after a few seconds. Pretty frustrating!

Huggyhotspur

Post by Huggyhotspur » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Hi, I found my wattages were low compared to my perceived effort on sufferfest so downloaded the utility app. I could then never get to see the line in the middle, always said it was too loose. Having read this thread I did the update and it worked immediately and I was able to centre the line. However, I did a 32 min ride, wattages were in my ball park but it measured a huge speed increase. I averaged 37.7mph and a 20 mile ride in the time. Clearly this is wrong or I've missed my calling. Any ideas why this would be?

Return to “Cycletrainers - Rollers”