Chattering noise from Antares rollers

Satori, Swing, Sirius, Speedmatic, Rollers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Tacx support, Fortius Magical Man, Nasz

fred22

Chattering noise from Antares rollers

Post by fred22 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:17 pm

My antares rollers are now so noisy that they are unusable. The sound is a really loud chattering that get worse the faster I get, I *think* this is because there is a slight side to side movement of the blue rollers themselves due either to the design or to the bearings having moved.

Has anyone experienced this ?

Not impressed these must be just out of warranty.

Tacx support
Site Admin

Post by Tacx support » Fri May 06, 2011 3:42 pm

not sure when you have purchased this.

Did you contact your seller?

regards,
TSG

fred22

Post by fred22 » Sat May 07, 2011 3:33 pm

They were two years old when it started but used so infrequently. As stated the cause seems to be that the rollers have side to side movement which is possibly because the bearings have moved within the roller thus effectively decreasing the width of the roller.

Spare rollers are available but I might save up for some higher quality ones from another company.

Suprised no one else seems to have the same problem, I posted about this on the Bike Radar forum and had two other people email me saying they too had this so its not just my set that are 'off'

Tacx support
Site Admin

Post by Tacx support » Mon May 09, 2011 9:43 am

Please contact the seller again and let them contact support@tacx.nl
I think they will be able to help you with this problem

Regards,
TSG

fred22

Post by fred22 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:22 pm

I bought the rollers from Wiggle who have the following on their website :

"Returning a Tacx Product: Contact Tacx direct through their supplier Fisher Outdoor Leisure. They will be able to advise regarding technical issues and means it will be dealt with straight away rather than us acting as a third party. You can contact them by calling them on 01727 798347 and selecting option 2."

So who should I contact?

thanks

Tacx support
Site Admin

Post by Tacx support » Mon May 09, 2011 5:01 pm

the overall warranty is done by support@tacx.nl (manufactuer)

You can of course contact fisher first to see if they are able to help you.

Regards,
TSG

marco polo

Post by marco polo » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:12 pm

Hi there, I have just returned my second set of Tacx Antares Professional Training Rollers.

I first purchased these in Dec 2009 from Wiggle, I had to return them in Nov 2010 due to the issues that have been described here, loud rattling and vibration issues.

Wiggle where first class about it and sent me a new roller and covered my return postage.

Yesterday I had to return my rollers again due to the same problem.

I contacted Fisher lesuire, who confirmed that there is a problem with the bearing working themselves loose on the blue rollers, they sent me a word document explaining who to reset the bearings.

This didn't work for me, so as I say they have been returned.

One thing I was happy about was that Fisher lesuire confirmed that although this is my second set of rollers, the fact that the newer ones are under one year old then they are still under the one year guarantee.

I am going to go for a different brand of roller if the new Galexia has the same roller set up as I have no confidence in the Tacx Antares roller design.

Just to confirm both sets of rollers would have had less than 300 miles each.

Fady

Post by Fady » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:05 pm

I have the same problem with my Antares rollers. With regard to the possible resolution mentioned in the previous post IT WOULD BE HELPFUL IF TACX THEMSELVES COULD PLACE THIS INFORMATION IN THE FAQ SECTION since it is obviously a common problem :!:

I bought my rollers 18 months ago from an individual seller on eBay (boxed and unused) so I do not have a guarantee as such. In any event this would have expired by now.

I also own a Tacx Satori which I use primarily for my indoor training - so the rollers have not even had that much use (maybe a couple of hundred miles). Also, I previously owned a Tacx Flow (but now use a power meter instead). I am a bit disappointed with this quality issue as well as the seeming lack of serviceability. It can't be a huge problem, and given the correct instructions, I'm sure most of us here are capable of either adjusting or replacing a bearing. As it is my only option is to buy a brand new replacement Antares roller :roll: In the long term I will look to replace the whole thing before another one of the rollers goes bad.

Post by 2011 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:45 pm

I also have this problem with my fairly new set of Antares rollers. It appears this horrid chattering/buzzing sound comes from the front roller if I move even a tiny fraction of a hair off center.

I thought the problem was maybe associated with the other common problem of these rollers with the clamps slipping on the drive side, causing the rollers to become out of square and not parallel. I fixed that problem with some duct tape (temporarily) but the awful noise continues.

I thought these we're supposed to be fairly decent quality rollers, but they just went to hell after just a few rides. I think I will make a YouTube video of these problems to share. The noise is so loud my neighbors can hear it thru the walls.

It's pretty clear that TACX is not doing anything about this problem or for the people that purchased their defective product.

Fady

Post by Fady » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:34 pm

Fady wrote:I have the same problem with my Antares rollers. With regard to the possible resolution mentioned in the previous post IT WOULD BE HELPFUL IF TACX THEMSELVES COULD PLACE THIS INFORMATION IN THE FAQ SECTION since it is obviously a common problem :!:

I bought my rollers 18 months ago from an individual seller on eBay (boxed and unused) so I do not have a guarantee as such. In any event this would have expired by now.

I also own a Tacx Satori which I use primarily for my indoor training - so the rollers have not even had that much use (maybe a couple of hundred miles). Also, I previously owned a Tacx Flow (but now use a power meter instead). I am a bit disappointed with this quality issue as well as the seeming lack of serviceability. It can't be a huge problem, and given the correct instructions, I'm sure most of us here are capable of either adjusting or replacing a bearing. As it is my only option is to buy a brand new replacement Antares roller :roll: In the long term I will look to replace the whole thing before another one of the rollers goes bad.
Just to update my previous post. I emailed both Tacx customer support here and Fisher Outdoor Leisure (as mentioned by fred22 and marco polo earlier in the thread). First the tacx response - initially I got what seemed like a standard response ' not sure what trainer you have but take it back to the shop that you purchased it from'. This ignoring the fact that I had written 'Tacx Antares - noisy roller issue' in the subject line of my message! As mentioned, my rollers were bought on eBay and are out of the standard warranty period. Even if this was not the case, it is never going to be that easy to return such a bulky item to anywhere but a shop that is right outside your front door and many purchases are done on the internet. All I really wanted was detail of what the suggested fix is. I sent a second email to this effect, but I can only guess that the person responding had no knowledge of this.

I did however get a word document back from Fisher Outdoors detailing the suggested resolution to the problem. It contains a couple of photos which I cannot unfortunately post here (without linking externally) but I'll try as best I can to describe them.

Antares Rattling Solution

Please check if the shafts are tight in the rollers. If there is any lateral play on the shaft, that is they can move about, then please press the bearings in the plastic housings again and see if this solves the problem. The shafts should not move.

The way we do this: find two sockets that fit on the outer rim of the bearing and let the shaft pass through the middle.

Place one socket on the bottom of the roller to keep the bottom bearing pressed in, then tap the top one down with a plastic mallet so that they press the shaft in tight again.

So what I believe they are saying is that there should be no sideways movement to the central spindle or shaft. So to cure the problem you need two metal sockets that are of the same diameter as the outer rim of the bearing. I used two 20 mm sockets. You then need to cup the sockets over each end of the central spindle and stand the whole thing up so that it is perpendicular to the ground (I did this on my garage floorafter placing a folded cloth dust sheet down on it, so as not to mark my socket!) I then gave the top socket a couple of firm bashes with a rubber mallet - though I'm sure you could get away with a few gentle taps from a standard hammer. This did the job in terms of eliminating the 'lateral play'.

However the proof of the pudding is in the eating! I'm midway through my end of season break so it will be a few weeks before I start any sort of training again.So I won't find out until then whether this actually works or not. Maybe someone else could try it and report back in the interim :)

marco polo

Post by marco polo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:46 pm

I did try the fix but the noise came back after about five minutes.

I have ordered the Galaxia from Evans Cycle and I am hoping that the rattle issue is resolved, I bought from Evans as they are local to me so if these mess up again, then I can drive to the shop for a refund.

I also got them to price match Ribble so got them for £189

Fady

Post by Fady » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:00 am

marco polo wrote:I did try the fix but the noise came back after about five minutes.

I have ordered the Galaxia from Evans Cycle and I am hoping that the rattle issue is resolved, I bought from Evans as they are local to me so if these mess up again, then I can drive to the shop for a refund.

I also got them to price match Ribble so got them for £189
Yes - but you didn't say what the 'fix' was :D I posted it here so anyone else looking would know exactly what to do.

I'm not holding out much hope though for my rollers....and £35 a piece for a new roller :shock: when all that is really wrong is a problem with 50p worth of bearing :!:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Galaxia rollers look to have the exact same design as regard the rollers themselves. If so, can't see that they are going to be any better in the long run and it's down to pot luck.

radler

Post by radler » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Hi,

I've been searching the Internet trying to find a solution to this issue, which has occurred on my antares after only a few hours of riding.

I'm was going to try replacing the bearings, but would consider the fix above. Would be grateful to see photos.

Otherwise has anyone managed to remove the rollers? I've only succeeded in unscrewing one of the bolts, but the other just spins - it won't come out.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ben

Fady

Post by Fady » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:50 pm

radler wrote:Hi,

I've been searching the Internet trying to find a solution to this issue, which has occurred on my antares after only a few hours of riding.

I'm was going to try replacing the bearings, but would consider the fix above. Would be grateful to see photos.

Otherwise has anyone managed to remove the rollers? I've only succeeded in unscrewing one of the bolts, but the other just spins - it won't come out.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ben
I described the fix as best as I can without photos, but if you can't visualise this, maybe email Fisher Outdoor Leisure directly? They will then send you the document complete with the pictures.

As regards actually replacing the bearings - it does not look as if the rollers have not been designed to be serviceable in this way. You would need to be able to remove the grey coloured end cap from the blue roller and personally I couldn't see how.

If you are just trying to remove the rollers from the end rails, all you need is a 5mm allen key. However once you have taken a bolt out of the spindle at one end, you need to hold the spindle at that end with say a pair of pliers to stop it rotating when you undo the other end (otherwise it will just spin).

radler

Post by radler » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:03 pm

Thanks, I contacted fisher - but no reply as yet.

I managed to remove the rollers by adding a lock-nut to the bolt at opposite end of the spindle to the one that loosened first.

Once the rollers are removed the bearings can be knocked out by tapping the spindle through (it came out pretty easily actually - maybe why they are working loose to cause the noise.)

I've inspected the plastic housing but on mine there were no cracks - others have identified this as the problem on theirs.

There seemed to be a bit of play in the bearings so I'm going to order some new ones and hopefully that'll fix it.

Otherwise I guess it's a new set of rollers :(

cyclist_sg

Post by cyclist_sg » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:15 am

Hi all,

I am from Singapore and recently encountered identical problem with one of the drums on my Antares. When I took out the bearings and axle, I could not find any problem nor play with the bearings.

What I did to eliminate the suspected rattle was to fit a small rubber ring on both axle ends that meet the bearings on the inside. These rings are like the usual small tap rubber rings that is about 1cm in diameter and won't cost you a leg or arm.

Upon putting back together the roller unit, the rattling stopped and I simply rolled on happily since.

Hope this suggestion helps and make your roller experience a better one.

Regards,
Patrick
Singapore

skippy63

Post by skippy63 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:07 pm

cyclist_sg wrote: When I took out the bearings and axle, I could not find any problem nor play with the bearings.

What I did to eliminate the suspected rattle was to fit a small rubber ring on both axle ends that meet the bearings on the inside. These rings are like the usual small tap rubber rings that is about 1cm in diameter and won't cost you a leg or arm.

Upon putting back together the roller unit, the rattling stopped and I simply rolled on happily since.
Can you tell me how you did this? I nocked against the axle, the only thing what moved was the axle, not the bearing. Do I have to knock futher? The axle moves now axial, in other words: there is much play.
The rattling is heavy now. You can send me an private email.
CX 4ever

Fady

Post by Fady » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Just as a final update to my own rollers problem - perhaps for anyone looking at this thread in the future. I managed to cure the problem with a suggestion from another cycling forum. I removed the bearings (by standing each roller up on its side and banging the spindle with a rubber mallet) and then applied a generous application of medium strength Loctite glue to each of them. This is the type of glue normally used for locking screw threads to stop then becoming undone during movement or vibration. I then put the rollers back together and set them aside for a few days. I have now had several months use without the problem reoccuring.

I guess this fix is on similar lines to the one suggested above by cyclist_sg as the problem seems to be that the bearings are rattling about in their housing. The resolution is therefore to do something to stop this happening.

orange32

Me too

Post by orange32 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:45 pm

I test the FADY solution and i will let you know if it work for me, i have a
Galaxia and it's making a lot of noise just only after 5 ride on it.

orange32

Thanks FADY !!!!!!!!!!

Post by orange32 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:41 am

The solution is working !!!!! thanks

(Bad bearing design for the price !)

Return to “Cycletrainers - Rollers”