Tight resistance lever on booster 2500

Satori, Swing, Sirius, Speedmatic, Rollers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Tacx support, Fortius Magical Man, Nasz

michael.pearmain

Tight resistance lever on booster 2500

Post by michael.pearmain » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:18 pm

I have a problem with the tension that is on the resistance lever on my Booster 2500 (the lever which connect to the handle bars difficulty 1-10).

In fact its so tight that when i have tried to change the level the plastic lever has snapped. I've ordered a replacement but does anyone have any advice as to how to reduce the resistance of this lever when the replacement comes?

Tarski

Re: Tight resistance lever on booster 2500

Post by Tarski » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:43 am

I have a related problem. Moving up the resistance from 1 through 10 is ok, but moving the lever down is difficult. I have to use 1 hand to hold the assembly clamp to the bar, while I push the very stiff lever with the other. Less than ideal while training. Help anyone?

malfukt

Post by malfukt » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:55 pm

In both cases i would return these to where purchased, obviously not functioning as should, or has this reared its head after warranty period over..
i7-950 Processor (4cores 3.06 GHz)
2xBIOS settings 1 overclocked to 4.3ghz
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD
NEOx1 GENIUS. BUSHIDO smart
TTS beta vers 4.22.5 & TDA beta & TCA beta

brian

Post by brian » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:58 pm

The lever on my Tacx Booster snapped off the other evening, contacted the supplier and they received the following from Tacx.
We see adjustment levers snap on all mechanical trainers. 90% of the time the customer has allowed sweat to drip into the cable leading to the brake unit. The high salt content in the moisture causes the cable to corrode at a high rate. The cable no longer slides freely due to the corrosion in the cable, the amount of force needed to move the cable is higher that the lever can withstand. If this is the case the ‘Switch Part’; consisting of complete handlebar adjuster, inner & outer cable and part of the resistance unit, will need to be replaced. The test to this is seeing if the cable outer can be pulled away from the handlebar adjuster. Is the cable doesn’t move, it is corroded. Replacing without lever blade without remedying the cable issue will lead the blade snapping again.

If the lever blade had just snapped; it has had an impact or there is a fault with one, then the blade can be replaced.
I've checked the cable as suggested it requires a good effort but it moves, so the lever seems to be too weak to do the job.

basementbooster

Post by basementbooster » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:01 pm

Does anyone know how to replace the broken cable in the booster trainer? Seems there's a stop sleeve that's crimped onto the lever end of the shifting mechanism. I'd like to know what size stop sleeve and crimping tool should be used and where you can buy them. I have to replace the one on the brand new cable because you have to cut it off in order to thread the cable through the magnetic brake mechanism. I took the magnetic brake apart when the cable originally broke due to corrosion and there is no way to get a cable with a stop sleeve through that hole. So frustrating already. I've lost almost the entire winter due to waiting on parts and now figuring out how to make the repair. LBS dealer and Tacx were no help.

PaulBP

Post by PaulBP » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:38 pm

I have had similar trouble with the control lever on my Tacx trainer fracturing . But mine was clearly too stiff when it was new ,or should I say suffered from too much resistance , this resistance did not change ,it was always excessive to the point that slight vibration caused it to click from position one to two and then to three and sometimes four. When the lever inevitably broke after some investigation I ordered the new part as detailed by Tacx this comprised of lever, cable end plate and magnets . When this arrived it was exactly the same as the old one had always been .
At this point I decided to investigate the old unit , I found the first trick is to gently lever out the blue end cover ,this reveals a very small cover held with a very tiny screw ,on removing the cover ,the end of a compression spring is revealed ,this can be removed by compressing it and lifting it off its spigot then threading it out. I have cut approximately one and a half cm's off this (you can use the edge of a grinding wheel to cut the spring) I have re-assembled the old unit ,put the new lever on it and the device is totally transformed. It now stays in position one ,the force to move to position one is much reduced . Far be it for me to criticize Tacx engineers ,but they have clearly chosen the wrong spring.
Had I had the courage to dis-assemble the unit before I had a new one standing by I would have only needed to buy a new lever and saved myself a lot of money!

CarlP

Post by CarlP » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:18 pm

PaulBP wrote:I have had similar trouble with the control lever on my Tacx trainer fracturing . But mine was clearly too stiff when it was new ,or should I say suffered from too much resistance , this resistance did not change ,it was always excessive to the point that slight vibration caused it to click from position one to two and then to three and sometimes four. When the lever inevitably broke after some investigation I ordered the new part as detailed by Tacx this comprised of lever, cable end plate and magnets . When this arrived it was exactly the same as the old one had always been .
At this point I decided to investigate the old unit , I found the first trick is to gently lever out the blue end cover ,this reveals a very small cover held with a very tiny screw ,on removing the cover ,the end of a compression spring is revealed ,this can be removed by compressing it and lifting it off its spigot then threading it out. I have cut approximately one and a half cm's off this (you can use the edge of a grinding wheel to cut the spring) I have re-assembled the old unit ,put the new lever on it and the device is totally transformed. It now stays in position one ,the force to move to position one is much reduced . Far be it for me to criticize Tacx engineers ,but they have clearly chosen the wrong spring.
Had I had the courage to dis-assemble the unit before I had a new one standing by I would have only needed to buy a new lever and saved myself a lot of money!
I also have this issue. Has anyone else tried the fix mentioned by PaulBP? I can't see my resistance lever unit has a blue end cover, or are we talking about the much larger disk shaped cover in the brake unit?

PaulBP

Post by PaulBP » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:34 am

Just got my trainer out for winter training, and it continues to perform fine.

Redmagster

Post by Redmagster » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:20 am

Just to update that I followed the fix posted above by PaulBP amd it worked perfectly to resolve the problem.
To answer the query above the blue cover is on the end of the brake unit not the resistance lever unit. It's the circular slotted blue disk and it can be carefully prised off to reveal the small black rectangular cover that is screwed in. Once removed this is where you'll locate the spring that needs trimming to make it possible to shift the resistance lever.
My trainer is a year old but never used so I think it was probably a design issue on original models and has probably been updated since.
Thanks for the solution!

abrahamhavis

Post by abrahamhavis » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:09 am

I'd like to add to this. I bought a unit yesterday and broke the lever instantly. Very hard to go from 10 down. Shifts up easily.

Return to “Cycletrainers - Rollers”