Satori Smart - Calibration issues

Satori, Swing, Sirius, Speedmatic, Rollers

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Tacx support, Fortius Magical Man, Nasz

David_DW

Satori Smart - Calibration issues

Post by David_DW » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:16 pm

Hi there.

I recently bought a new Satori Smart. After setting it up, I tried to calibrate it via the Android App. After pedaling up to 40 kph and stopping, it says that the tire pressure on the training roll is to low. I tightened the screw, but the app still says the pressure is to low..I cannot tighten it any more, I am afraid to damage the tire!
Any ideas? Maybe the App is wrong?

Thanks

David

cl1505

Re: Satori Smart - Calibration issues

Post by cl1505 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:13 pm

Hi there,
have the same problem. Did you find a solution or get answer from Tacx ??

Tomdean88

Post by Tomdean88 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:02 pm

Having the same issue. Reported this on twitter, not getting much with regard to a time for this fix.
Would like to know what this means with regard to training and recording session....is it recording speed/distace/power incorrectly?

iLobster

Post by iLobster » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:39 pm

Look like I have a company -- same issue with my Satori. I can't calibrate it on my Android app, even with maximum tight app say it's "too loose".
Very disappointing :(

GuruTimpuche

Post by GuruTimpuche » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:12 pm

I've a new Satori Smart & had a number of questions regarding set-up, calibration and slope that the very brief quick start info doesn't even touch.
1. Tyre/roller adjustment.
Calibration on the satori works as does calibration using the app. What doesn't work is correct roller/tyre pressure on the app. It always stays in the red on the left and tightening it up doesn't change the graphic although the app still confirms calibration complete. It should be really simple & I'm not stupid. What I have done is engage the tyre to roller so that the tyre is just touching the roller. Then I have applied 2 quarter turns of the wheel then checked for tyre slippage. Tacx and some users have advised 2 to 3 turns of the wheel. The reality of that advice is that you will be putting far too much pressure on everything and wrecking your tyre. What I believe they meant was 2-3 quarter turns of the wheel. Today I did get the app to show the tyre/roller pressure in the green but then couldn't get it to happen again.
I would have expected the unit to remain calibrated and the tyre/roller graphic to change as air pressure drops or increases so that we knew when to adjust the wheel or add air.

2. How often to calibrate?
Tacx advised that once should be sufficient. Other users advise every time that the Satori is turned on. I would have expected to have to calibrate each time I mount a different wheel (unless the wheels are the same using the same tyre and pressure. So now I'm going to calibrate at the start of each session.

3. Slope & the lever & the app
The instruction advise that the speed icon turns from grey to white when the slope changes. By changing the magnetic force on the flywheel by the handle bar lever, the speed icon should return to grey when the correct match is found. The speed icon always remains grey! A couple of times it has gone a bluefish grey for about a second. My guess is that something has been lost in translation and that the icon should go blue until the correct adjustment on the lever is made. I think that the app is buggy.

4. Slope & speed
Why when I increase the slope does my speed automatically drop even when I keep the same gear, cadence and haven't yet adjusted the force to the flywheel using the lever. I would have expected to need to adjust the force with the lever before a drop in speed is encountered obviously caused by an increased force on the flywheel. This confuses me. I may as well keep the slope at 0 and change to a bigger gear in order to work harder.

5. Cadence
How is cadence calculated when it can only be flywheel revs that are reported and not crank revs?

millsy83

Post by millsy83 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:20 am

I have the same problem, tried calibrating a dozen times hitting 40kmh each time, I truly believe that by looking at the state of how hard the roller so against my tyre, that app calibration doesn't work. Not impressed, I wonder if Tacx monitor these forums??

iLobster

Post by iLobster » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:31 am

Well, we solve calibration problem :D It's all because of a tire softness. Almost all Continental tires have too soft compound, even special Hometrainer II tire. The only tire we was alble to calibrate Satori with was Continental 4Season, but it's not the best solution.
So we went to a local bike shop and bought the cheapest and most sturdy tire. In our case it was Kenda Kontender 700x26C. A bit wider, yes, but there was no other :) Anyway, we were able to calibrate Satori without any problem.

Now I have to sell Hometrainer II to someone... :)

millsy83

Post by millsy83 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:42 am

I have the Tacx trainer tyre at 110psi and it is still telling me the tyre is too loose, despite the fucking thing squashing the tyre in half! I'm very frustrated by this, thought Tacx was a well known brand that I could trust and would work, seems not! :x

sebu

Post by sebu » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:34 pm

I see I'm not alone with my problem :(

millsy83

Post by millsy83 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:14 pm

Had the trainer replaced. will report back with how it goes!

dobry.dobrev

Post by dobry.dobrev » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:20 pm

Hi Guys, any update? I have the same problem with Tacx tyre and Satori smart.

ralph014

Post by ralph014 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:47 pm

Hey has anyone sorted this issue out? I just set mine up and its basically as tight as it will go yet i constantly get off the scale loose. So frustrating when new things just dont work! What am i doing wrong?

sebu

Post by sebu » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:28 am

I got a new role from tacx.
With th tacx tire and full preasure I could calibrate. But the calibration in the app works only irregular

leepez

Post by leepez » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:58 am

iLobster wrote:Well, we solve calibration problem :D It's all because of a tire softness. Almost all Continental tires have too soft compound, even special Hometrainer II tire. The only tire we was alble to calibrate Satori with was Continental 4Season, but it's not the best solution.
So we went to a local bike shop and bought the cheapest and most sturdy tire. In our case it was Kenda Kontender 700x26C. A bit wider, yes, but there was no other :) Anyway, we were able to calibrate Satori without any problem.

Now I have to sell Hometrainer II to someone... :)
I had no problems calibrating my Satori some 10 months ago when using a Michelin road tyre but when I have gone to use my Satori once again I cannot get it to calibrate within the 'green' area.
This time funnily enough I have a Continental rear tyre so I guess what your saying is correct.
I have since ordered a Schwalbe turbo trainer rear tyre so hopefully that should solve the problem!

leepez

Post by leepez » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:57 am

Update
I fitted a Schwalbe specific turbo trainer tyre and calibrated my trainer from cold. = Line middle of green area.
I then performed a 10 minute warm up averaging 200w @ 100rpm.

I then re-calibrated my trainer and found that the line had dropped to the very beginning of the green area.
I increased the load onto the tyre through turning the screw a few times.
I then re-calibrated my trainer. = Line middle of green area.

I then performed a 1hr workout and at the end of the workout I re-calibrated once more, and the result:

Line was still in the middle of the green area :-)

xanty89

Post by xanty89 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:59 am

Hi there,

I have the same problem, anyone could solve it? How?

tucorides

Post by tucorides » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Hi - it's Jan 2018 now (a bit after most of these posts).
I've been using a Satori Smart quite happily for over a year now. All was good and I have been happy with it.
Within the last 2 or 3 days though... the calibration has just gone crazy.

I ride on Zwift, and have noticed that my physical effort and my reported wattage are diverging... my wattage not being as high as it should be.
Tried recalibrating today and it's just ridiculous. My tire (same tire I've been happy with for over a year) is above 100 psi.
The tacx app and calibration tool tells me that the tension is too loose. So I tightened the thing about the 3 times, getting back on the bike and riding and tryingn to calibrate again, and the calibration app didn't show any improvement at all. Just kept registering in the far left side of being "too loose".

Finally gave up when I could barely push the resistance drum onto the tire with the lever, or release the resistance drum from the tire. Felt like I was going to snap the lever off.

Any thoughts? Would love to solve this! my trainer + Zwift are my winter exercise!!!!

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:43 pm

tucorides wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:42 pm
All was good and I have been happy with it.
Within the last 2 or 3 days though... the calibration has just gone crazy.
What events accompanied this? Maybe the firmware update?
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

tucorides

Post by tucorides » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:24 pm

Hi Alex - no, nothing that I can think of.
When you say Firmware update... does the Satori Smart require firmware updates? I had no idea.
Do I need to start those manually, via the App? Or do they happen automatically?

Thank you.

tucorides

Post by tucorides » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:00 am

Problem solved - thank you for mentioning the firmware upgrade.
I've never done one in the two years I've owned the Satori.
Just ran it now (took 5 seconds), did the calibration, and seemed normal.
Thanks again.

Return to “Cycletrainers - Rollers”