The noise from my Fortius Brake roller is caused by

Fortius, i-Magic , Cosmos, Flow , upgrade kits

Moderators: Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Fortius Magical Man, Nasz

mcorn

Re: The noise from my Fortius Brake roller is caused by

Post by mcorn » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:51 pm

Is you failure in the power supply (silver box) or the brake? If the brake is locked up, tried disconnecting it from the power supply to see if it runs free.

Usually the component that fails is the power supply and not the brake.

DAZZA1

Post by DAZZA1 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:07 pm

The cosmos head unit is still fully working so all roads lead to motorbrake failure to me.Tried unplugging all connections/switching on and off...no response at all,roller rock solid.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:50 pm

DAZZA1 wrote:The cosmos head unit is still fully working so all roads lead to motorbrake failure to me.Tried unplugging all connections/switching on and off...no response at all,roller rock solid.
Hopefully the only part that is bad is the brake itself and not the power supply. The brake costs a lot less I believe.

DAZZA1

Post by DAZZA1 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:41 pm

Took the brake unit apart to find the magnet had a huge gouge on its surface where it had literally seized solid...the brake suddenly slowed to a stop like it had been fully activated,not a clue what caused it.

Cleaned it up with a file and seems to be running freely now,I have also backed off the roller pressure by half a turn...

Cheers for the advice mcorn. :)
Last edited by DAZZA1 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:45 pm

DAZZA1 wrote:Took the brake unit apart to find the magnet had a huge gouge on its surface where it had literally seized solid...the brake suddenly slowed to a stop like it had been fully activated,not a clue what caused it.

Cleaned it up with a file and seems to be running fine now...

Cheers for the advice mcorn. :)
That does not really sound like it should be fixable. Need to find out what got inside the motor and how it happened, otherwise it is likely to occur again. I would be looking for a metallic source.

Is it possible that the screws holding everything together got loose and the rotor got out of alignment?

DAZZA1

Post by DAZZA1 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:57 pm

You may have a very important point about the tightness of the three main screws either side possibly pulling the roller out of alignment....Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

mcorn

Genius Update

Post by mcorn » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:19 pm

I know that this is a Fortius thread, but I had the same loud noise start about a month ago on my Genius as well (it was getting intolerable). So yesterday I performed the same epoxy fix on the Genius. After cleaning off the extra dried epoxy and letting everything set for 24 hours, I tried it briefly this morning. It was much quieter. I'm not sure it is as quiet as a new unit, but at least on this test it was fairly tolerable, so I will see if it stays that way for awhile.

While inspecting the spindle, it did not appear that the metal sleeve was noticeably loose. With my Fortius, I waited quite a bit long, so when I got to the point that I fixed my Fortius, the metal sleeve was quite loose. It appears to be that the polyurethane tends to shrink over time. When it first starts to shrink, the part of the urethane that protrudes through the holes in the sleeve seem to shrink the most and can actually fall out, leaving the hole not filled with any material. With my Genius, the urethane in the holes had shrunk noticeably, but had not yet fallen out like they did with the Fortius. At that stage, the entire sleeve on the Fortius had gotten pretty loose (like others, I even dripped super glue in to try to fill it and get a bond).

I don't know if the loud noise is caused by air running over the open holes in the sleeve. As with the Fortius, after drilling out the polyurethane, I then countersunk the holes in the sleeve so there would be more area for the epoxy to bond to.

Anyway, as said before, I will provide updates on how well the fix works and whether it stays reasonably quiet.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:53 pm

So I had to do a fix on my Genius to quench that noise. I first had decided to follow hugebee's procedure and try to cut threads into the holes I drilled. That plan was a good excuse to get that cool thread-cutting tool set, but a blister later without having made the tiniest scratch into that hardened steel shell I went shopping for epoxy. One brand we grow up with here in Germany is "UHU" (Araldite is unheard of here), so I bought "UHU plus endfest" which is said to have 30 min setting time. It is still well flowable after 60 min :evil: which meant the whole process was slower than I had hoped.

Nevertheless, a few weeks later now I can only say that it was worth it - the Genius is quiet again. Pleasure ro ride. I hope it stays this way. Next time I will try to convince a mechanical workshop to machine threads into the spindle. :D

wheelz

Re:

Post by wheelz » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:38 pm

Leakygas wrote:
mcorn wrote:There is also an end-cap on the outboard end (left side of picture) behind which is a bearing. You remove the endcap with a flat screwdriver. It takes a little horsing around and you will probably chew up the plastic a bit, but it will come out.

The noise could also be caused by a small amount of material between the spindle and plastic. I have used a thin piece of sheet metal to push out debris.
Thanks mcorn. After what Kevin posted I tried the cap and managed to get it off - yes the plastic is chewed slightly.

Well, you were right, the noise and also the friction appear to be a LOT of material build up in between the roller and the housing that appeared to be also causing some lateral load on the spindle and causing the housing to rub slightly as well.

20 mins of cleaning it out and I don't think that I have ever heard the unit so quiet!!! I can not believe the amount of rubber that has just come out of the unit.

Thanks for you help guys and pointing in the right direction
How can I get the motor out once the three in screws are out ? I took them out and it nothing moves.

mcorn

Re: Re:

Post by mcorn » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:24 pm

wheelz wrote:How can I get the motor out once the three in screws are out ? I took them out and it nothing moves.
Which 3 screws are you referring to?

wheelz

Post by wheelz » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:37 am

The 3 Torx screw "inside", or closer to the roller. I have the 3 same screws on the opposing side and 2 screws where the power cable goes in.

So I was talking about the "inside" screws, if I can call them that way.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:09 am

wheelz wrote:The 3 Torx screw "inside", or closer to the roller. I have the 3 same screws on the opposing side and 2 screws where the power cable goes in.

So I was talking about the "inside" screws, if I can call them that way.
I wasn't sure. If you remove the 3 inside Torx screws, you should be able to pull off the aluminum stator housing. It takes a good yank as the rotor has a strong magnet. After you get the stator housing off, you will see the rotor, which is attached to the spindle with a set screw (and locktite). You will likely have to heat the set screw or you will strip the allen nut trying to get it off.

After that, you will also see a black plastic fan blade on the spindle shaft. I've never figure out how to get it off without risking breaking it, but you need to get it off to completely diassemble.

Not sure why you are disassemblng, but if it is to replace bearings, you may need a special puller.

If you have a noise problem, it is more likely caused by the urethane roller or perhaps distortion of the plastic that houses the bearings.

In general, this is not a user serviceable part (or even serviceable in a shop).

wheelz

Post by wheelz » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:03 pm

Thanks ! So it's normal that it's hard to pull.

It was to see if it needed a cleaning (any tire debris). I do have a sound that amplified with time. I read this thread from post #1. I went with the liquid superglue last night, we'll see tonight how it goes....before I do the epoxy fix.

What got me curious about the cleaning is that I just came back from a "race" in a store (using forties). Last time I went they were ultra noisy... I was surprised this weekend, they sounded like new. The guy told me he took them apart and cleaned them (using brake cleaner).

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:32 pm

wheelz wrote:Thanks ! So it's normal that it's hard to pull.

It was to see if it needed a cleaning (any tire debris). I do have a sound that amplified with time. I read this thread from post #1. I went with the liquid superglue last night, we'll see tonight how it goes....before I do the epoxy fix.

What got me curious about the cleaning is that I just came back from a "race" in a store (using forties). Last time I went they were ultra noisy... I was surprised this weekend, they sounded like new. The guy told me he took them apart and cleaned them (using brake cleaner).
Brake cleaner seems improbable to me and if you are not careful, you could flush out lubricant from the bearings, which are shielded, but not sealed. I would try a good vacuum.

Superglue also seems unlikely to work for very long as the urethane continues to shrink, but it is definitely worth a try.

wheelz

Post by wheelz » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:20 pm

So if the glue does not work, I'll go with the epoxy fix.

thanks.

wheelz

Post by wheelz » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:32 am

I did the 12 holes plus epoxy. The sounds is at least as bad as it was but I noticed some holes are.not filled completelty (they sunk in so I could only noticed after 12h). I hope the noise is because some are not filled fully flush. I will add epoxy tonight and report back tomorrow.

If I do the calibration spin without he tire on it's quiet, but with the tire pressure it sounds like a train.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:25 am

wheelz wrote:I did the 12 holes plus epoxy. The sounds is at least as bad as it was but I noticed some holes are.not filled completelty (they sunk in so I could only noticed after 12h). I hope the noise is because some are not filled fully flush. I will add epoxy tonight and report back tomorrow.

If I do the calibration spin without he tire on it's quiet, but with the tire pressure it sounds like a train.
In all likelihood, your brake needs replacing. It may be a bad bearing or the housing has distorted. I did the epoxy fix on my Genius and it was quiet for about 2 - 3 months, but then it went bad. The noise was somewhat different than the first one. Hard to describe these noises in writing, but it was very loud and sounded terrible.

Wasupwitdat

Post by Wasupwitdat » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:28 am

I remember the noise from my Fortius roller years ago. I did the fix by drilling out the urethane in the holes and tapping threads because I didn't feel that any type of epoxy would permanently fix it. I mean once you go through all the trouble to do this why would you want to do it again. I used fine thread screws and applied a permanent Loctite thread locker, then I cut off the excess screw and filed it flush and smooth to match the roller. I did this years ago and haven't had the noise return yet.

wheelz

Post by wheelz » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:10 pm

I would like to think it's not the bearings if it's spinning freely and without noise (without pressure).

I added epoxy to the ones that needed it. Before doing that I did a 1hr training and it wasn't too bad. I did add electric tape, what I did in the pass few weeks, seems to cut a % of sound. I'll clean everything tonight and test it.

If not, maybe the screw/threads method.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:43 pm

wheelz wrote:I would like to think it's not the bearings if it's spinning freely and without noise (without pressure).
Iit's hard to assess bearing when not under load or high speed.

The other thing, as said before, is the bearings are all set in plastic housings, which can distort if the unit overheats. Unlike the Fortius, the Genius has the power supply inside the brake unit, so it may have more of a tendency to experience heat issues.

Return to “Fortius - i-magic - Cosmos”