I did finally apply the epoxy fix to my T1941 motor brake. Mine is a 110V, but of course it had the same problem, unrelated to voltage.
For anyone like me, only average at best in a shop setting, I'll provide the detail. I'll preface this with saying that I took the precaution of wearing surgical mask after my first session with the glue--coincidentally I had got pretty sick afterwards. My process went like this:
1. I removed the motor brake and set it on my work stand, then used some heavy duct tape at the sides of the rollers to not only hold the roller in place while I drilled, but to catch the debris.
2. Drilled out the holes (4 at a time) with a 5/32 inch drill bit, which is pretty much equivalent to the 4 mm bit I did not have. Vacuumed up the debris. I had tried a little countersinking on one hole, and decided it was too much work, so none of my other holes were countersunk.
3. Mixed some Super Epoxy (www.pcepoxy.com
), "15 minute work time", which I'd bought because it had a supposed 4 hour set up time.
4. IMPORTANT: To avoid dripping glue on the roller as little as possible, I put duct tape as a mask over every exposed surface around the hole, leaving just a set of small squares with drilled holes exposed. For the first set of holes, I did NOT do this, so I had more of a mess to clean up (see step 6).
5. Let the glue for each set of holes set for several hours, then went on to the next
6. Applied the glue to the holes, pushing out air bubbles as I worked, using a toothpick. Left some glue above the hole. I noted that the glue had a tendency to come off of the toothpick with a sort of stretched out tail, which had a tendency to miss the hole, so to speak. So without my duct tape mask, it got on the roller.
7. After letting the glue set up overnight, I removed the duct tape, and smoothed off the excess glue from the roller using an electric drill with a 2 inch fine wire wheel brush attachment. Carefully done, this also worked well for areas of the roller where I'd spilled glue on.
The results have now been tested for over three hours total, so we'll see how it holds up. The awful racket I had, especially on descents, is all gone, and I'm left with tire noise--I just use old tires--and rear wheel noise--I am using an older rear wheel that "clicks", likely due to a loose hub, and so on. These noises I can live with until I get off my butt (literally) and deal with the rear wheel.