IMPORTANT: FIRMWARE UPDATE 0.10.04

Fortius, i-Magic , Cosmos, Flow , upgrade kits

Moderators: Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Fortius Magical Man, Nasz

Colin

Motor brake locking up.

Post by Colin » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:07 am

This is a very frustrating bug indeed and dangerous for the knees. It's a problem which has been round for years.

One might conclude that Tacx has a certain reluctance to admit it exists in such a widespread form or has encountered a serious design fault that would demand a recall of the product. Look here also: http://www.tacxvr.com/phpbb2/viewtopic. ... highlight=

I don't use mine for the moment, as the list time my motherboard died (maybe unrelated) and that made me even more nervous.

If someone finds a solution, I would really like to hear about it.

ironrose

Post by ironrose » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:17 pm

mine has been doing this for about a year, soon to be out of warranty so will pay more attention to it. I only use the Cosmos with no PC attached and its happened on steel and alu bikes.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:58 pm

I have used both 110 volt and 230 volt units. I assume the prior post involve's the 230 volt unit. My 230 volt unit starting doing the lock-up, so I no longer use it. When it worked (about a month), it was far better than the 110 volt unit, but I see from a number of reports from European users, that the 230 volt unit has a tendency to do this. I have tried a lot of different things, including eliminating electronic noise that might be causing problems for the 230 power supply. I think that this is a bug of some kind in a significant number of 230 volt units.

Colin

Post by Colin » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:40 pm

Indeed, mcorn, mine is a 230/240volt unit.

langers08

problems with fortius motorbrake

Post by langers08 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:50 am

Hi. I have gone through the same problem with fuses blowing etc and have upgraded the firmware on the motorbrake as directed. Now even with a new fuse the brake unit does not work and I cannot get a connection via either of 2 computers to attempt a further firmware upgrade/restore. Is my motorbrake unit broken? If not, how can I get it fixed? :(

mcorn

Re: problems with fortius motorbrake

Post by mcorn » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:18 am

langers08 wrote:Hi. I have gone through the same problem with fuses blowing etc and have upgraded the firmware on the motorbrake as directed. Now even with a new fuse the brake unit does not work and I cannot get a connection via either of 2 computers to attempt a further firmware upgrade/restore. Is my motorbrake unit broken? If not, how can I get it fixed? :(
Usually, once the fuse is blown, the power supply is fried. Although it is possible, I don't think I have ever heard of a case where someone was able to get it working again by replacing the fuse.

How do you know that you were able to update the firwmware after replacing the fuse? Did you get a successful firmware update message or did you just try to do it?

My guess is the fuse is no longer blowing because the circuit inside the box is completely open. You will probably have to return it to a service center:

http://www.tacx.com/service.php?languag ... %20Centres

Have you installed and run the Tacx System Test:

http://www.tacx.com/service.php?languag ... tem%20Test

langers08

Post by langers08 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:16 am

Hi. I replaced the fuse and then did a successful firmware update on the advice of my local Tacx service centre. I have to use the system test every time I use the Fortius which I presume is a software glitch as I'm using Vista as after running the system test all appears fine. I would be in agreement with you that the motorbrake has probably been blown but would welcome any further suggestions.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:56 pm

langers08 wrote:Hi. I replaced the fuse and then did a successful firmware update on the advice of my local Tacx service centre. I have to use the system test every time I use the Fortius which I presume is a software glitch as I'm using Vista as after running the system test all appears fine. I would be in agreement with you that the motorbrake has probably been blown but would welcome any further suggestions.
I used to have the problem of having to start the program twice to make a connection until I installed Version 2.01 of the software. (Like you, I used the system test to do that. Tacx does have a newer standalone driver program, particularly for Vista. I think it is still a beta release, but you might give it a try.

Unplug your USB cable. Download this file and double click on the downloaded file (.exe). The driver will install automatically.

http://www.xtraspace.nl/~ilink/download ... taller.exe

Plug in your USB. The system should tell you that it found a new driver.

DL Drafting

Post by DL Drafting » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:00 am

When I got my replacement power supply back from Oschners the other day (it blew a fuse at 250 miles), Rudy suggested I do the online firmware update just to make sure it was current at Firmware Version 0.10.04. Sure enough, when I did the online thing, it told me a new firmware version was ready for download and I proceeded with the steps to do so. After a few minutes I got a message that said firmware update was complete.
Next day, I thought, "maybe I ought to make sure everything else in the software is up to snuff too with version 2.02." So I do the online thing again, and just on a whim, I also clicked on the firmware update just to see if there had been a new release in the previous 24 hours. Can't hurt. So, I clicked on it and it said new firmware was available. Great. I went through all the steps just as before and when it got all done. I still have the Firmware 0.10.04 listed in the info section of the Fortius program. So I wondered what the ?
So today, I did the same thing, checked for firmware update and again, it said new firmware was available, so I went through all the steps again just like before. When I got through with the update it was still at Firmware 0.10.04. Why is this?

Tony Alaska USA

Post by Tony Alaska USA » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:41 am

DL did you get the message from your puter that stated :this SW already exists do you want to replace this file"?? I know it may seem simple but maybe your computer has the file but Tacx site does not ? Just a though. Hope I help.
Ride Hard or Go Home

DL Drafting

Post by DL Drafting » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:32 pm

No messages at all. That's what I would have expected. That's why I continue with the update, because all indications are that there is indeed a new version available. Have you tried doing the online update again on your computer? It might be interesting to know if others can do this also. Thanks Dan

Rein

Post by Rein » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:38 pm

In my case it says the update is already installed...

DL Drafting

Post by DL Drafting » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:27 pm

Rein,
So when you go to the online update box and click on the "motorrem" button, is that when you get the message that the update is already installed?

Rein

Post by Rein » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:44 pm

Yes.

DL Drafting

Post by DL Drafting » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:57 pm

I wonder if my power supply just isn't taking the update? Just now I went downstairs and started up the computer and ran the firmware update yet again. As soon as I ran it, I went back to the online update menu, clicked on the motorrem button, and it still said there was a new update available, version 0.10.04. I suppose I could update all day long, but I won't. It's running OK, and I can hit 37.7 mph on a good downhill on 120V, so I think it must be updated. Thanks to all for the help. Dan

From Sedalia, Missouri, home of the world's lowest gasoline prices: $2.89 per gallon this morning. ( 76 cents per liter)

Rein

Post by Rein » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:44 pm

When you take a loot in the Info-screen (in the Fortius-software), what version do you see for the motorbrake? There you can see if the update has been succesful.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:29 pm

DL Drafting

Post by DL Drafting » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:57 am

It's showing the most current update in "info" 0.10.04, which is why I question why it continues to update. I see Michael has joined in the discussion. I'll check the link he sent.

DL Drafting

Post by DL Drafting » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:09 am

Yes. I am familiar with those instructions for updated the firmware. I feel as if I have followed them step-by-step correctly. I'll not worry about it, since the info screen does show the most current update. Just weird that it will go ahead and update automatically and not recognize that the update is in place.
Say, while I was on that weblink that Michael sent, I found the following information right at the very bottom of the screen. Would anyone mind telling me what in the world Tacx is trying to say here:

Standby function is switch on (prevent constant switching).
When protection comes in, the brake will not block, but will be release.

What "protection?"

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:10 am

DL Drafting wrote:Yes. I am familiar with those instructions for updated the firmware. I feel as if I have followed them step-by-step correctly. I'll not worry about it, since the info screen does show the most current update. Just weird that it will go ahead and update automatically and not recognize that the update is in place.
Say, while I was on that weblink that Michael sent, I found the following information right at the very bottom of the screen. Would anyone mind telling me what in the world Tacx is trying to say here:

Standby function is switch on (prevent constant switching).
When protection comes in, the brake will not block, but will be release.

What "protection?"
The Dutch are usually pretty good with English, certainly a lot better than I am with Dutch, but that is a mouthful. However, I interpret it as indicating a couple of things. First, the firmware has been redesigned to prevent self-destruction when powering down and as a result goes into standby mode when sitting idle. Second, the firmware has another feature to prevent damage to the power supply if it should lose synchronization with the household current while riding. As you aware, the Fortius creates resistance by acting as a generator and sending the power that is generated back into the grid. In order to do this, it must synchronize with the local AC current. If it loses synchronization, the power has no place to go and the energy will be discharged as heat in the internal components (a fried power supply or resistance unit). To prevent this, the power unit will momentarily stop acting as a generator and all resistance will be released until synchronization is restored. In fact, I have had this occur occasionally.

Return to “Fortius - i-magic - Cosmos”