IMPORTANT: FIRMWARE UPDATE 0.10.04

Fortius, i-Magic , Cosmos, Flow , upgrade kits

Moderators: malfukt, Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Fortius Magical Man, Nasz

Fortius Magical Man

IMPORTANT: FIRMWARE UPDATE 0.10.04

Post by Fortius Magical Man » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:56 am

Dear all

FOR COSMOS OWNERS AND FORTIUS OWNERS
On this post there were discussions on adapters that were broken when you turn on the adapter.
We have done an investigation on this and we have found the following issue that is causing a disruption between the mains and the adapter.

To explain a little bit more in details what we have done.
Inside the adapter there are 4 switches. These switches are regulating the powerback, so these are always in contact with the mains. They are also continue switching, even when you do not cycle. So, when you do not turn off you adapter, it is still working.
When an adapter brakes, one of 2 of these switches are broken, resulting to a broken fuse.

Many people have not had any problem, but any household circumstances is different to the other, so some customers have experiences the same problems twice.

The problem that is caused is not caused by turning the adapter on. It is caused when you turn it off. The switches are constantly switching. There is a synchronization between the mains and the switch. When you turn it off manually, there is change that the synchronization is not ok (can be that other electronic devices are switch on, meaning that the mains have a different pulse). This can lead that the internal switch brakes down. You will not notice it.
You notice it when you turn it on, because the switch is broken. Fuse will pop.

So what have we done in this new Firmware 0.10.04

1. The switching will be stopped when you stop cycling. If you shut down your adapter, there can be no problem on the synchronization, because they are already turned off
2. When security goes in (the adapter will block then) the motorbrake run free. When you forget to turn on you adapter and start cycling, you will feel a resistance, that can damage your adapter (you are generating energy that can not go away). Now the resistance is off. This is also when accidentally the powercable will disconnect.
3. Heat security. When the adapter turns to hot during a ride, you will get a safety message. When this is ignored, the adapter will run free (no resistance).

also more information and how to download the firmware check
http://www.tacx.com/service.php?languag ... lSubSub=25

Best is to connect your PC to the internet and do an online update
Start - Programs - Tacx Fortius - online update - Motorbrake update
Follow the instruction on the screen.

ps. In the past some customers have experienced problems on an online update. When they do the update they see an error 2 message. This means that the USB interface is not recognized
You can do the following

1. Disconnect the USB interface
2. Start the procedure (start - programms etc)
3. Skip detection
4. Message will appear saying new firmware available
5. Press install
6. Now plug in the USB interface (in the same USB port)
7. Press upload

I have closed topics related to this problem. We also advise you when you have done an update to put the number Q5 on the green or black sticer. This is for you to know that you have done the latest update.

If you have a problem or question on this update, let me know via this topic. Please keep to this topic

mcorn

Re: IMPORTANT: FIRMWARE UPDATE 0.10.04

Post by mcorn » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:39 pm

Admin: deleted the quote
This weekend, I blew my third power supply in 7 months and am awaiting a fourth replacement. Unfortunately, the firmware update was not available to me because I had not used the unit for about a week, and as Magical Man indicates, the failure likely occurred the last time I turned it off. As a result, no ability to install the update.

I see that he has closed all of the threads on this topic. Let's hope they can truly be closed and this problem has been solved. Honestly, I am a little skeptical about the technical explanation, but I'll give it a fair chance.

My other question, which others are continuously raising, is whether the 26 mph speed limit problem for 110 volt units has been addressed with this firmware update (as well as other problems such as intermittent loss of resistance without warning.)

Fortius Magical Man

Post by Fortius Magical Man » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:55 am

Dear Mcorn

This topic should be used if there people experience any problems, so you can use this one (only this one). Why, because there is no overview when people make 10 different post on it. So one post for each topic. I will make a topic on the speed limit this week.

To all
I'm changing the forum style a bit so that people who join can find things easier. Please keep to the topic if you have issue or you experience something with this new software. I really want to hear your experience on this new software.
Please do not always use the quote function, because you get huge messages with small answers. You do not need to do that

Thank you

per

Brake respsonse timeout

Post by per » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:45 pm

After pressing UPLOAD, I always get "Error occured! Brake response timeout."

JohnWilky

Post by JohnWilky » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:52 pm

I was suprised at your update details, the issue I had when the fuse blew was when I didn't switch it off. I had left the unit on after training and it blew in the middle of the night.

Are you saying that it is now okay to use the trainer in 'stand alone' i.e not connected to the p.c or the mains as a normal turbo trainer? Or will this still damage the unit in some way?

Also, what do you advise when I have stopped training should the trainer be left switched on and plugged in or off and unplugged?

Thanks,

John.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:40 pm

Quote deleted (please do not quote to much)
John-

I think you are correct that people have reported a number of different failure scenarios which may not be consistent with Magical Man's explanation. I have a good friend who designs electronic equipment and is very familiar with power supply design. He is a bit skeptical that the firmware fix will be adequate. He also thinks it is a bit of nonsense to be attributing the problem to "local" conditions, as all types of switching power supplies commonly found in electronic devices have to deal with the same issues. His guess is that the basic power supply design is not adequate and may lack in basic filtering and sound design. I guess time will tell whether the latest fix will do the trick.

Fortius Magical Man

Post by Fortius Magical Man » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:09 am

if you leave the adapter on, this means that they are on constantly (24/7)
that is not so good, so there is a possibility that they break down.
(I know that people have different situation, but this one is related to the software.
So, please keep to the topic and the motorbrake update 0.10.4. Else I cannot help customers like PER
Thanks
Last edited by Fortius Magical Man on Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fortius Magical Man

Re: Brake respsonse timeout

Post by Fortius Magical Man » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:11 am

per wrote:After pressing UPLOAD, I always get "Error occured! Brake response timeout."
Per
This could be that the USB connection is failing.
Have you tried to put the USB in as late as possible

Asimon42

Post by Asimon42 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:12 pm

I am also getting the message After pressing UPLOAD, "Error occured! Brake response timeout."

Please help

Alan

Fortius Magical Man

Post by Fortius Magical Man » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:28 am

what is your firmware now (check mainscreen and then the info button) and did you try to put the USB in later

regards

amiles

Post by amiles » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:39 am

How do we role back once upgraded as I am getting some strange things happening and I would like to go back to the way it was

Fortius Magical Man

Post by Fortius Magical Man » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:22 pm

www.xtraspace.nl/~ilink/download/brackecrc_v01000.zip

Download this file. unzip it and then disconnect internet (so that you can browse to this document). What do you mean with STRANGE ?

amiles

Post by amiles » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:15 pm

it appears to be a lot slower and I cant get close to a ride that I have done before and it also starting spinning like mad and showing that I was pushing out over 1000 watts but actually going nowhere. A bit like free spinning

amiles

Post by amiles » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:16 pm

that is a bin file.
How do i transfer it to the motorbrake unit?
Thanks
Andrew

Fortius Magical Man

Post by Fortius Magical Man » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:15 pm

WAITTT this has nothing to do with the firmware. What is your software version. That spinning around is that your pc specs are to low for running full 5 opponents. I believe that it is caused by the New Update. The setting could have been changed, so check that first.

On the .bin file
This is the file that you put in the motorbrake. You can check our homepage service-vr trainers-motorbrake update how it works. AGAIN. this has nothing to do with the firmware. I have to remove this from the topic in a couple of days and move it to the VR part. I want to have this clean for the motorbrake updates (we will also send a newsletter this week, beginning next week)

Thanks
Best Regards

amiles

Post by amiles » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:52 am

I have never had a problem up until the firmware update to the motor brake.
I do not race against 5 opponents. I usually race against 1 maybe 2 but not more than 3.
I am running 1.32 or 33 from memory as 36 gave users problems and I did not want to reload from scratch.
My PC was purely built as a media centre and to run the Fortius and it is top spec. Dual core CPU, 2G RAM, 256MB Video card etc. Its fantastic.
I have rolled back the motorbrake software and will hopefully get to ride this evening
Thanks
Andrew

Rein

Post by Rein » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:03 am

@Andrew,
which firmware-update was causing the problems you had? Was it the latest 01.10.04?

@MagicalFortiusMan,
are there also changes made in virtual speed/resistance and stuff like that in the latest firmware-update (like there were in the previous one)? I'm curious because last night it was impossible for me to get close to a previous ride I did and I want to know if this is due to being not very well or if it's caused by the update.

Fortius Magical Man

Post by Fortius Magical Man » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:41 am

amiles wrote:I have never had a problem up until the firmware update to the motor brake.
I do not race against 5 opponents. I usually race against 1 maybe 2 but not more than 3.
I am running 1.32 or 33 from memory as 36 gave users problems and I did not want to reload from scratch.
My PC was purely built as a media centre and to run the Fortius and it is top spec. Dual core CPU, 2G RAM, 256MB Video card etc. Its fantastic.
I have rolled back the motorbrake software and will hopefully get to ride this evening
Thanks
Andrew
Well, in the old version there was a problem on the Virtual Opponents. Not sure if you use Virtual Oppenents

Still, I really do not believe that is the problem (update)

There are changes in synchonisation with the net, but that should not change your experience that much (actually it should be better).
So there should not be a lot of difference

amiles

Post by amiles » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:05 pm

Hi Rein
The problem I had was with 01.10.04. I have since rolled it back and rode the bike tonight and it appeared to be back to normal.

Whether its just in my head or not who knows because fortius Man has suggested otherwise but it definately felt better to me after rolling back.
By the way you put in a great effort on the Alpine classic so your system must be ok
:D

Rein

Post by Rein » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:24 pm

Thanks Andrew.
To be honest, during the Alpine stage I felt better than yesterday when I did VR, but still I had the feeling I used to do better (watts/kg-ration was lower than usual).
I was surprised I managed to finish ahead of you, but I bet when you try again you'll beat me. So please don't... :wink:

Return to “Fortius - i-magic - Cosmos”