Old Cosmos Trainer

Fortius, i-Magic , Cosmos, Flow , upgrade kits

Moderators: Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Fortius Magical Man, Nasz

who2017

Old Cosmos Trainer

Post by who2017 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:54 am

Hi all,

I recently purchased an old Cosmos setup (Trainer + software).
It was purchased by the previous owner in 2009 but short after purchase he bought a full spinning bike for training purposes and never used the Tacx Cosmos. Even the original (blue) software was not even unpacked.
I have set up the unit (brake unit, cadence sensor and head unit) and mounted my (old) race bike.
Started up and everything worked as new, even calibrating went fine (+0,4 after warming up for 5 minutes).
As expected, the software did not wanted to install on a laptop running Windows-10 64 bit.
Are there possible workarounds or (better) are there any possible software upgrades I can use with this old Cosmos?

I am posting this from The Netherlands so if my English has some faults, sorry ;-)

thebigoneinfront

Re: Old Cosmos Trainer

Post by thebigoneinfront » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:25 pm

The Cosmos was just a Fortius with another head unit that ran independently from a PC (although one could connect it to a PC to move trainings to and from the head unit). You can purchase the Tacx T1932 uograde that contains the T1925 head unit and the TTS 4 software. (Same as for converting the far more popular standalone Flow trainer into a PC-controlled i-Flow and therefore sometimes only called the „Upgrade Flow“, so never mind if it doesn‘t also say „Cosmos“.) TTS 4 will run on a 64 bit OS. You then can let TTS control your trainer, use Real Life Videos, Virtual Reality Rides, GPS Rides or Multiplayer. That‘s what we did years ago to convert my wife‘s Cosmos into a Fortius (still in use).

So unless you desire those new features like wireless connectivity, tablet or smartphone control of your trainer and can make do with a (in the future) somewhat reduced selection of new RLVs, you still can get years out of your trainer. I‘m afraid, however, that you may have increasing difficulties finding replacement parts if anything breaks (and the electronics in that silver box can be touchy).

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:40 pm

thebigoneinfront wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:25 pm
You can purchase the Tacx T1932 uograde that contains the T1925 head unit and the TTS 4 software.
Numbers mixed up in places.
https://tacx.com/product/upgrade-flow/
The T1925 set consists of:
  • T1932 - VR interface;
  • T1902.10 - USB cable;
  • TTS4 basic.
USB cable user already has. Perhaps he will want the TTS4 advanced, but not TTS4 basic. Therefore, it makes sense to consider a separate acquisition of missing components.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:01 pm

Sure!
The key question is how expensive the T1932 interface alone will be. Without digging deep, I see it around 150 €. 65 € for TTS Basic on top of it is a bit more expensive than the Upgrade Pack at 199 €. For the TTS Advanced alternative, 150 € for the interface plus 125 € for TTS 4 Advanced makes 275 € which is roughly on par with the Upgrade Pack at 199 € plus the upgrade from TTS Basic to TTS Advanced at 70 €. Close call unless one can find better offers.

Maybe someone sells a used upgrade package. @who2017: If you look for a used upgrade package, you may want to double-check it‘s not an old one with TTS 3 or even older. These are still around.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:21 pm

thebigoneinfront wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:01 pm
than the Upgrade Pack at 199 €.
The Tacx online store is empty. There are cheaper here:
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/tac ... ountry=144
https://www.bike-components.de/en/Tacx/ ... le-p33418/
https://www.bike24.com/p239361.html
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:53 pm

My guess is the analyzer software that he got with the Cosmos was for a 32-bit operating system only. It appears to be a variant on the older Fortius software.

If he wants to go the least expensive hardware route, he should look around for a used T1932 controller (blue with white ring) or a T1942 controller (solid blue). eBay and similar sites are good places to look.

If he has access to a 32-bit operating system (maybe an old PC), he can get the now free older Fortius software. There are lots of inexpensive videos available. Installing the software may take some PC skills. Lots of information in these places:

http://www.lunicus.org/tacx/Fortius.htm
viewforum.php?f=17

I would be careful about over-investing in either the Fortius hardware or the TTS software.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:22 pm

mcorn wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:53 pm
My guess is the analyzer software that he got with the Cosmos was for a 32-bit operating system only. It appears to be a variant on the older Fortius software.
If I remember correctly, it was exactly the same software as the one that came with my Fortius at the time. It would not do more with the Cosmos than exchanging tranings, though.

A 32 bit PC would indeed offer more options. Personally, I would miss the high quality RLVs. But I don‘t know what who2017 is up to.
mcorn wrote:
I would be careful about over-investing in either the Fortius hardware or the TTS software.
I agree, though Tacx’ statements on TTS sound like further support. I probably would have advised a friend who had asked to get a new Vortex Smart rather than a used Cosmos at the same price point, but of course I don‘t know the deal who2017 got.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:39 pm

thebigoneinfront wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:22 pm
mcorn wrote:
If I remember correctly, it was exactly the same software as the one that came with my Fortius at the time. It would not do more with the Cosmos than exchanging tranings, though.

A 32 bit PC would indeed offer more options. Personally, I would miss the high quality RLVs. But I don‘t know what who2017 is up to.
mcorn wrote:
I agree, though Tacx’ statements on TTS sound like further support. I probably would have advised a friend who had asked to get a new Vortex Smart rather than a used Cosmos at the same price point, but of course I don‘t know the deal who2017 got.
Yes, I am sure it is only 32-bit compatible. There are quite a few third-party HD videos that work fine in the Fortius software and the price is very reasonable. Some are even free.

who2017

Post by who2017 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:12 am

Guys, thanks for all your quick responses.

A few facts from my side:
I'm 61 years old. Normally I only play tennis (from, lets say, March till November).
During summer time we (my wife and myself) often go for a short trip with our old, restored, VW camper.
To explore the surroundings we both take our bikes with us. As my wife is recovering from cancer (and does very well) she is riding an e-bike. I use a race bike and want to keep up with here during steep hill climbs ;-)
I took over the old Cosmos trainer for only €75,= and it is working perfectly.
The only missing link: the old software will only run on a 32 bit computer system.
Computer skills I have (used to keep the company network up and running).
So, I want to get the original software running to keep track of my training sessions on a PC.
I do not need all the new fancy VR as I will only use a headset with music during training.
So, reading all your answers, the best option will be to purchase an old computer running Windows Vista....?

Best regards,
WIllem.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:36 am

I‘d stay away from Vista. All you need is 32 bit Windows, and there‘s also Win 10 in 32 bit. Lunicus (link above) recommends XP or an XP virtual machine, so you may not even need to buy another PC.

If you only want to keep track of simple training sessions and do not intend to use RLVs or VR, another idea might be staying with the Cosmos, putting sensors on your bike and using a bike computer that can upload data to record your trainings in parallel. An ANT or BT-capable bike computer, a matching HR strap, cadence/speed sensor or a pedal or crank power meter and a speed sensor are also useful off the trainer, certainly more expensive than a T1932 handlebar unit, but bear no risk of lost investment when some legacy trainer electronics blow up.

I don‘t remember after all those years how, if at all, the Fortius software exports activities data. It certainly doesn‘t do so automatically as TTS does.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:34 pm

who2017 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:12 am
Guys, thanks for all your quick responses.

A few facts from my side:
I'm 61 years old. Normally I only play tennis (from, lets say, March till November).
During summer time we (my wife and myself) often go for a short trip with our old, restored, VW camper.
To explore the surroundings we both take our bikes with us. As my wife is recovering from cancer (and does very well) she is riding an e-bike. I use a race bike and want to keep up with here during steep hill climbs ;-)
I took over the old Cosmos trainer for only €75,= and it is working perfectly.
The only missing link: the old software will only run on a 32 bit computer system.
Computer skills I have (used to keep the company network up and running).
So, I want to get the original software running to keep track of my training sessions on a PC.
I do not need all the new fancy VR as I will only use a headset with music during training.
So, reading all your answers, the best option will be to purchase an old computer running Windows Vista....?

Best regards,
WIllem.
I would stay away from XP unless it is NEVER connected to the Internet as it is not at all secure, and of course, Vista is and always was junk that never worked, so in my judgment it is an awful choice. But subsequent versions of Windows can be obtained in 32-bit versions.

I think if all you want to do is keep track of training, the Cosmos software would be fine. The older free Fortius software does have a data export function, but again, there may be no good reason to worry about that.

So, you can come up with an inexpensive W7, W8, or W10 32-bit OS and just stay with the software and hardware you currently have, that would work well. If your interests expand, you can find a second hard controller and try the free Fortius software and buy a few videos. You don't need a new PC. You can put an additional bootable partition on your existing PC and install a 32-bit OS on it.

If you really want more, than you can look at shelling out a whole lot of additional money, but it sounds to me like what you currently have should work pretty well for your current purposes.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:23 am

I think one point to consider is where and how the workouts are to be tracked and the acceptable level of manual post-processing vs. more gadgets. If it‘s sufficient to see the training data in the Cosmos software, a 32 bit-partition is all that’s needed. I am fairly sure that the old software does not export training data as .tcx, .fit or .gpx files. I really don‘t remember - was it .hrm? So there may be some additional converting effort necessary when uploading data from the Cosmos to combine them with data from other sources in Strava, Connect or their likes. Other training data analysis programs still accept .hrm.

Spending money on more bike gadgets is only reasonable when they are also used outside. Getting them just for automatic data uploading is for affluent geeks only.

who2017

Post by who2017 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Thanks again guys,

I will stick with the original setup and will use the Cosmos as a stand-alone unit with no further upgrades (too expensive :( for an old system)
If the Cosmos stays alive and the training sessions are becoming bored I might consider purchasing a new and more advanced system.

Best regards,
Willem.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:18 pm

thebigoneinfront wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:23 am
I am fairly sure that the old software does not export training data as .tcx, .fit or .gpx files. I really don‘t remember - was it .hrm?
I believe both the Fortius VR software and the limited version Cosmos can import and export HRM format files. I think HRM is basically a text format. But I also recall that some of this was fairly buggy (no surprise). People seemed to have a lot of hassles getting the Tacx HRM files imported into other software.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:30 pm

Aye, .hrm is text format, editable by any text editor. Polar’s simple old stuff. I remember exporting .hrm from early TTS versions for import into Sport Tracks. Never had issues there, but this of course depends on the specific training data cemetery. I started collecting my training data only after the Fortius software days.

Return to “Fortius - i-magic - Cosmos”