Fortius Motor/Brake disassembly instructions - Here :-)

Fortius, i-Magic , Cosmos, Flow , upgrade kits

Moderators: Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz, Fortius Magical Man

kenny444

Re: Fortius Motor/Brake disassembly instructions - Here :-)

Post by kenny444 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:07 pm

Nice to get some input after the quiet period. Sadly my Fortius is the rest position as I have had a very heavy year on the chemo and radiotherapy, because of a new cancer, I am though not down hearted and hope to recover enough to ride Calais to Venice in the future. Well done on the repair, do you have any photographs of you tools etc. Also thank you for the Christmas wish, may all your rides end with a podium position. Ken

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:41 am

ttelmah wrote:I turned a sleeve to fit over the bearings, with a thin 'tooth' on the inside. Split this (with a hacksaw), and then gripped this with my bearing puller to pull these off. The jaws on my puller were too thick to get the bearings off otherwise.
<snip>
I suspect they fail because there is some distortion of the plastic parts as power is applied, which results in them going out of alignment, and accelerates wear.
There are pullers made for small bearings in which you remove the shield/seal and drill in between the races and insert a flat moon-shaped extension and then turn it so it secures to the races. They work pretty well and that is what I used to remove the bearings.

I think some of the Tacx bearings fail because they use shielded rather than sealed bearings, which allows the grease to come out of the bearing. I think if the cause was distortion of the plastic bearings holders (which is pretty lousy design), the plastic would be permanently distorted and replacing the bearing would not help.

kenny444

Post by kenny444 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:19 pm

Thanks for the extra note, appreciated.

ttelmah

Post by ttelmah » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:41 am

Agree on the bearing type, but I'm thinking the assembly distorts as you apply torque (try filming it!), and this gives non radial loads which accelerate wear.

Have a good hols.

mickyduck

Post by mickyduck » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:41 pm

I know this an old thread but have just replaced my motor brake as the old one was getting very noisy.. so I would like to try repair the old one. Can anyone tell what the bearings type are or preferably a supplier and part number.
Cheers
Mick

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:11 pm

Can't help with bearing sizes but the size can determined by measuring the inner and outer diameter as well as the width of the bearings and applying those dimensions on a site like BocaBearings.com. Before you embark on this, I suggest taking a look at the Fortius Motor-roller Bearing Noise and Failure thread for more insight into this repair. You might also take a look at the Taming a Noisy Tacx Genius Trainer which outlines a fix that can also be applied to repair the Fortius roller sleeve.
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64 | Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz | GeForce GTX 870M
Samsung 32" LED TV

mickyduck

Post by mickyduck » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:35 pm

Thanks for the reply.. I have read most of the stuff on this site now after having a noisy roller.. thought it may have been the sleeve but cannot see any slippage or looseness there. As I have a replacement brake that is much quieter it proves there is something wrong with my old one. I am reasonably good with "machines" so hoping that replacing a few bearings will not prove too much of a challenge...

The link to the article did give bearing type so once again thanks for the info.

I know its a different beast but my ladies I Flow with the completely metal roller is whisper quiet by comparison.. and now I have changed my brake she is happy to cycle in the same room as me :lol:
Last edited by mickyduck on Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:47 pm

mickyduck wrote:thought it may have been the sleeve but cannot see any slippage or looseness there.
In cold condition can not occur. Should be checked after warming up.
Additionally, clicks may appear when pressing with just some sides of the metal sleeves and not appear when pressing with the other sides.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

mickyduck

Post by mickyduck » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:03 am

mickyduck wrote:Thanks for the reply.. I have read most of the stuff on this site now after having a noisy roller.. thought it may have been the sleeve but cannot see any slippage or looseness there. As I have a replacement brake that is much quieter it proves there is something wrong with my old one. I am reasonably good with "machines" so hoping that replacing a few bearings will not prove too much of a challenge...

The link to the article did give bearing type so once again thanks for the info.

I know its a different beast but my ladies I Magic with the completely metal roller is whisper quiet by comparison.. and now I have changed my brake she is happy to cycle in the same room as me :lol:
Correction her roller is exactly the same as mine ... white with metal sleeve...and its an i Flow

Return to “Fortius - i-magic - Cosmos”