Fortius Motor seizing

Fortius, i-Magic , Cosmos, Flow , upgrade kits

Moderators: malfukt, Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Fortius Magical Man, Nasz

SCOTTID

Fortius Motor seizing

Post by SCOTTID » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:48 am

Riding the Tour of Flanders RLV last night at one point the motor suddenly seized (like when you go off course on the virtual reality courses). Stopped for a minute or so then carried on no problem. First time this has happened, is it a common problem? I'd been on the trainer for about 45 minutes at the time riding fairly hard.

Tony Alaska USA

Post by Tony Alaska USA » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:28 am

How old is your trainer and are you on a US 110v system or 220? Also check to make sure your cadence sensor is at the required ditance. Sometimes the vibration of some of the downhills can cause it to move.
Ride Hard or Go Home

Tacx Video Production

Re: Motor seizing during Tour of Flanders RLV

Post by Tacx Video Production » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:54 am

SCOTTID wrote:Riding the Tour of Flanders RLV last night at one point the motor suddenly seized (like when you go off course on the virtual reality courses). Stopped for a minute or so then carried on no problem. First time this has happened, is it a common problem? I'd been on the trainer for about 45 minutes at the time riding fairly hard.
It sounds like hardware issue caused when the break has no power, if the break has power then then any software/USB/cadence issue would set the break to a easy zero grade, like when your in the menu or even before you turn on TTS (you would also get a warning to say no cadence). I would look to the big cable that goes into the silver box (adaptor) sometimes it can be bent to such an extent that the cables in side the big grey cable come loose, if you can see the cables or the shielding then it will need to be fixed, obviously check the mains power supply, sockets & if it starts to happen regular to call your distributor. I read that there is a pdf with instructions on how to fix it your self if its the loose connection & you feel confident fixing plugs etc.

malfukt

Post by malfukt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:06 pm

try the link at bottom of this post:
After hearing these reports of loose wires, particularly on 220 volt units, I checked a 220 volt unit that I was using for testing here in the U.S. This was provided to me a couple of years when Tacx was trying to deal with the problems with the 110 volt units.

I initially reported to Tacx that the 220 volt unit worked very well and had none of the problems of the 110 volt units. However, after a few weeks, the unit started heavy braking without warning and I was no longer able to use it even though I really liked it when it worked.

Following these recent discussions mostly from 220 volt users with problems, this morning I checked the wire connections and all 4 wires were loose! 2 of them were so loose that they were falling out of the connector. It's actually a miracle it would work at all.

I'm not sure if this was just a poor assembly issue with a batch of 220 volt units or whether there is a thermal issue that causes the screws to loosen. I noticed that the ends of the wires are tinned with solder. Some connectors actually do better not tinned. My guess is it is not likely a thermal issue and is probably poor assembly.

So, I would say that anyone who is having problems of intermittent or odd braking, this is definitely worth checking. I have recommended that Tacx post the service bulletin on its website or this forum on this issue. The most important thing to do when checking this is to be sure the power is off and that the wires are in the correct places.

You can download an instruction sheet here (sorry for the pop-ups as this is a free site):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/h21nonzdnj2/information cable check T1941.50.pdf
your basically checking cable in pics below :

i7-950 Processor (4cores 3.06 GHz)
2xBIOS settings 1 overclocked to 4.3ghz
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD
NEOx1 GENIUS. BUSHIDO smart
TTS beta vers 4.22.5 & TDA beta & TCA beta

normh

Re: Fortius Motor seizing

Post by normh » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:29 am

ScottID hi,
you are not alone on this problem. I have that very same RLV and it has happened to me in that also in VR and in Catalyst. My latest post on this issue can be seen here.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22058#p154137

It will let you know what I have tried and what I haven't. Anyone of them could fix your problem. I thought I had fixed it once. I went for a number of days/rides with all performing well and then suddenly bam! I am still here. Just yesterday in the middle of a CP-20 test the brake locked up and so I had to do it again :( but it had gone from once a session to very random these days and I might not see it for 2 or 3 sessions and it can still be the brake seize/lock up or just no resistance at all. In the VR world my opponents keep right on riding but I can't. :?

Just look in this topic up and down the list and I will guarantee you will see someone asking about the problem. All described slightly differently in the "heading" but if you read the body it is all the same.
brake seizing. brake locking up, brake applying max resistance, brake no resistance, brake spinning freely, brake suddenly lets go. there are a multitude of variations but at the end of the day all the same problem.

cheers

Norman

davel75

Post by davel75 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:43 am

Exactly the same here.
Has anyone had any luck with Tacx support?

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:59 am

davel75 wrote:Exactly the same here.
Has anyone had any luck with Tacx support?
The brake can seize for a variety of reasons (loose wire, cadence sensor not working, faulty power supply). There is no one single cause.

normh

Post by normh » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:48 am

Davel75 hi, this has a lot of possible causes, it took me until the USB upgrade that came along for me to be able to finally say I believe it is fixed. I continue riding at the moment and still have an expectation that it will lock but for 3 months now all has been good so here is hoping.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9724&start=20#p156078
is where I last posted and it covered this topic and what I have done over the years.

kalooch

Post by kalooch » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:32 pm

I have applied the recommended loose wires cable fix to my Fortius trainer, and it generally works okay. I can do 3hr rides without issues EXCEPT when speed is over 40km/hr and wattage is above 300, like when I want to sprint for points during a race. Under such a condition the resistance motor locks up similar to what people describe when there's a loose connection. The problem doesn't happen if I'm going uphill at 25km/hr and sprinting at 600watts. My set up includes the second generation resistance unit and adapter. I recall the first generation had wattage problems above 40km/h, but I don't recall this sort of thing happening. I looked over data of previous sessions to see what was going on before the lock up and it was the same every time, then I rode in a few environments to recreate the situation that led up to previous lock ups and I was able to recreate the lock up each time.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:12 pm

kalooch wrote:EXCEPT when speed is over 40km/hr and wattage is above 300
Maybe it's because the vibration reaches a critical value. Automatic protection is triggered. Check the metal sleeve on the roller is loose?
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

kalooch

Post by kalooch » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:46 pm

The metal sleeve on the roller is not loose as far as I can tell. I've thought about the "vibration theory" quite a bit. I'm not sure how there's anything else on the resistance unit I can tinker with other than that main screw on plug. The thing seems to have quite a bit of vibration generation on steep slopes and slower speeds. One would think that would trigger the lock up.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:18 pm

kalooch wrote:The metal sleeve on the roller is not loose as far as I can tell.
In cold condition can not occur. This has to be checked after warm-up. How old are using a trainer? Your Fortius did not make more noise during this time?

kalooch

Post by kalooch » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:24 am

I can make the "lock up" happen after 5 minutes of riding, or after 2hrs of riding. It doesn't seem to matter if it's cold or warm. The trainer itself is maybe 6-8years old, but I only use it sporadically in the off season so I don't think it's really got a lot of mileage on it.

kalooch

Post by kalooch » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:10 am

So tonight I hop on the trainer, bring it up to 40km/hr and it locks up as usual. I haul out the original roller/adapter (Type T1946.50), the one that had trouble putting out realistic wattage over 40km/hr, and reinstall it. I hop back on, and I accelerate up to and over 40km/hr 3 times and there is no lock out. So this is definitely a hardware issue, right? The wattage sort of flattens out after 500 watts, but I think it's better to have that happen then to be in the middle of a race, try to sprint for points and have the thing lock up.

kalooch

Post by kalooch » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:00 am

Is it possible there are two different firmware versions for the 2 different versions of Fortius motor brakes? I recall the older motorbrake did not supply accurate power values over 40km/hr. Is it possible that the firmware on the newer motorbrake has the wrong firmware?

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:37 pm

If you run the Updater? Maybe try to repeat the firmware update procedure:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Tacx\TacxTrainersoftware4\updater\TacxUpdate.exe

Return to “Fortius - i-magic - Cosmos”