Intermittent Braking - Check Power Supply Cable Connector

Fortius, i-Magic , Cosmos, Flow , upgrade kits

Moderators: malfukt, Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Nasz, Fortius Magical Man

mcorn

Intermittent Braking - Check Power Supply Cable Connector

Post by mcorn » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:28 pm

After hearing these reports of loose wires, particularly on 220 volt units, I checked a 220 volt unit that I was using for testing here in the U.S. This was provided to me a couple of years when Tacx was trying to deal with the problems with the 110 volt units.

I initially reported to Tacx that the 220 volt unit worked very well and had none of the problems of the 110 volt units. However, after a few weeks, the unit started heavy braking without warning and I was no longer able to use it even though I really liked it when it worked.

Following these recent discussions mostly from 220 volt users with problems, this morning I checked the wire connections and all 4 wires were loose! 2 of them were so loose that they were falling out of the connector. It's actually a miracle it would work at all.

I'm not sure if this was just a poor assembly issue with a batch of 220 volt units or whether there is a thermal issue that causes the screws to loosen. I noticed that the ends of the wires are tinned with solder. Some connectors actually do better not tinned. My guess is it is not likely a thermal issue and is probably poor assembly.

So, I would say that anyone who is having problems of intermittent or odd braking, this is definitely worth checking. I have recommended that Tacx post the service bulletin on its website or this forum on this issue. The most important thing to do when checking this is to be sure the power is off and that the wires are in the correct places.

You can download an instruction sheet here (sorry for the pop-ups as this is a free site):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/h21nonzdnj2/information cable check T1941.50.pdf
Last edited by mcorn on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eurosportcanada

Post by eurosportcanada » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:18 am

where might these wires be located. will it void the warranty is i start take the unit apart?

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:35 am

eurosportcanada wrote:where might these wires be located. will it void the warranty is i start take the unit apart?
Tacx and Tacx service centers have a service bulletin PDF describing the procedure. Basically, it is the 4 wires that go into the plug that is on the end of the power cord coming out of the silver box and connecting to the resistance unit.

The best way to get at it (after unplugging the power supply from the wall) is to leave it plugged into the resistance unit for ease of handling. You first unscrew the black lock nut. After that, you unscrew the housing (counterclockwise) and pull it back over the wire. This will expose the 4 wires which are soldered at the end and held on my individual silver set screws. In many of these units, the set screws have been loose causing an intermittent connection. So, check the tightness of each one and be sure the wires are fully inserted into the connector.

If things come very loose, you may have to contact Tacx to be sure that you are getting correct wire in the correct hole. Mixing them up would be disaster.

Reassemble in reverse order afte tightening.

Support@tacx.nl should be able to send you the PDF which has clear instructions.

macallan

Post by macallan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:35 pm

I'm thinking that this could be the most useful post ever on this Forum. I've had brake problems ever since I bought my Fortius nearly 2 years ago. I tried everything, mainly the cadence sensor adjustment & usually the jerky brake problem disappeared, only to re-appear at random. I've just checked the 4 connections. One was secure. Two were loose enough to need tightening. The 4th was so loose that it came out completely and when I checked the wire it was black! Probably carbon caused by constant shorting? I've tightened up all the screws & hopefully this will solve all my brake problems.
I'll let you know when I can restart my training after having my eyes lasered.
This is so basic that I would have thought an email to all Tacx users would have been a sensible option by Tacx. Or were they worried that we would all electrocute ourselves? Many thanks mcorn.

Bream

Post by Bream » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:18 pm

mcorn, yet again you are a fortius life saver 8)

Been having intermitent heart monitor issues and tonight it didn't work at all :evil:

Searched on here and found your reply, checked the wires, a couple were loseish, tigthened then up and hey presto, it all works perfect :D

Many thanks,

Jeff

marka

intermittent braking

Post by marka » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:20 am

I have just bought and set up my i-magic fortius VR multiplayer turbo trainer with Tacx VR trainer software 2.0.

Every 5 seconds the trainer brakes. I have followed the instructions with regard to the wiring and nothing looks loose.

Are there any suggestions as to what to try next?
marka

PeterDK

Post by PeterDK » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:01 pm

sound like the cadence sensor is not working. That will give the precise issue you see.
Be aware that the magnet assambly can actually disassamble itself. If this happens the magnet itself can fall out of the assambly and the cadance senser system will not work.

br,
Peter

clancy1

intermittent power supply

Post by clancy1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:42 am

mcorn
can you pass on that pdf please
I dont seem to be able to follow your instructions.

cheers Clancy1
________
Think mill
Last edited by clancy1 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Remi

Post by Remi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:26 am

I have a 220v unit, always had issues with odd braking at high inclines, I opened the switch and tightened the bolts, a couple of them where quite loose.

Can't pedal now, it's too late .. tomorrow I'll test it out.

Eddy Nuff

Post by Eddy Nuff » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:39 am

mcorn

After three years of frustration and more threats of ebay than I can remember I'm keeping my fingers and everything else crossed that you've solved an on going issue with my fortius.
Like remi it's too late for me to test now, but I found 2 loose screws plus a third which was tight but the wire had not been pushed through first (this rules out any thermal issue) just poor assembly.

Living in the uk all our mains supplies are 240vac and I am an electrician by trade so it was easy for me to check this connection, however I'm not so sure that tacx should be expecting customers to investigate and rectify this faut themselves.
I feel sure that this is a possible product recall matter on the grounds of safety.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:08 am

Eddy Nuff wrote:mcorn

After three years of frustration and more threats of ebay than I can remember I'm keeping my fingers and everything else crossed that you've solved an on going issue with my fortius.
Like remi it's too late for me to test now, but I found 2 loose screws plus a third which was tight but the wire had not been pushed through first (this rules out any thermal issue) just poor assembly.

Living in the uk all our mains supplies are 240vac and I am an electrician by trade so it was easy for me to check this connection, however I'm not so sure that tacx should be expecting customers to investigate and rectify this faut themselves.
I feel sure that this is a possible product recall matter on the grounds of safety.
Hope it solves your problem. In all likelihood, they had a bad batch of cords and plugs from a third-party supplier that failed to assemble the parts the correctly. It seems to be mostly 220 volt/European stuff. Luckily, its a pretty easy fix.

chrishatton

Post by chrishatton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:29 am

mcorn brilliant post after a couple of years of my fortius trainer intermittently working it looks like this has solved my problem. I was thinking I had bought a dud but after readng your post identified one loose wire, tightened and trainer has never seemed so smooth.

Thanks very much.

Hopefully no more frustrating nights of not being able to train due to braking issues.

:D

Eddy Nuff

Post by Eddy Nuff » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:07 pm

mcorn

Just tried the fortius after securing the four terminals in the plug connection, found in rlv my watts jumped from zero to 65580 and stayed there, also could spin the pedals with no effort at all. Had a look in system options and the scalefactor had reset to zero, I've now got it on 100 (is this about the right setting)?
As for the ride now, it's a totally different bit of kit, no more loss of brake on inclines and no slipping apart from being over geared on the big climbs ( I smooth this out using the % scale at the bottom of the screen in rlv, not as fit as some of the guy's on here)!
Cannot get over the smooth ride I get now and cannot thank you enough for your much valued help.

keep up the good work....jeff

travicom

Post by travicom » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:43 pm

mcorn...really thanks, I have Fortius VR from 1 month and I was experience problems with high slopes, now after doing what you suggest on topic the motor is very linear on uphill and different slopes, also using Garmin routes imported using TTS2 that they sent me with Fortius VR...

Faiz

Post by Faiz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:38 pm

The problems that you guys are addressing with mcorn's fix are the same issues I'm having with my iMagic VR. Any idea if the Fortius fix is the same before I start tearing the brake unit apart? I just got this trainer (I used to use the Flow) and am pretty disappointed with the operation of the brake unit. It's randomly jerking around all over the place and, at slopes of 3% or more it completely maxes out...I'm worried I'm going to fry the thing.

Any insight would be really helpful. Thanks.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:50 pm

Faiz wrote:The problems that you guys are addressing with mcorn's fix are the same issues I'm having with my iMagic VR. Any idea if the Fortius fix is the same before I start tearing the brake unit apart? I just got this trainer (I used to use the Flow) and am pretty disappointed with the operation of the brake unit. It's randomly jerking around all over the place and, at slopes of 3% or more it completely maxes out...I'm worried I'm going to fry the thing.

Any insight would be really helpful. Thanks.
To my knowledge, there is no comparable power plug problem with the Imagic. It was very specific to connector plug between the Fortius power supply and resistance unit.

As I recall, there have been reports of Imagic failures due to magnets coming loose inside the unit. Magnets are used to control resistance.

It is also possible that you could have a bad handlebar controller or data cable. It should be easy to check the data cable with an ohmmeter (or a standard 8 conductor ethernet network cable checker). The wires are straight-through, not cross over.

Note that the Imagic resistance does max out somewhere around 3% slope and then goes into virtual mode (red bar on screen appears). This is due to the limitations in the amount of resistance the unit can produce.

Faiz

Post by Faiz » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:10 pm

Thanks Mcorn. I'll start there. By the way, the software I received with yte iMagic was just the Fortius VR Software. It has a Catalyst function within it that I have been using. What is the difference between this and the TTS software? Is TTS an upgrade or enhanced functionality?

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:49 pm

Faiz wrote:Thanks Mcorn. I'll start there. By the way, the software I received with yte iMagic was just the Fortius VR Software. It has a Catalyst function within it that I have been using. What is the difference between this and the TTS software? Is TTS an upgrade or enhanced functionality?
TTS is a standard windowed application rather than full-screen that has a number of other functions, including importing gps courses. There is a lot of discussion about it on the Forum and quite a bit of information on the Tacx website.

Eddy Nuff

Post by Eddy Nuff » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:46 am

Just when you think everything is ok!!!!
Loaded "training with lampre" at minus 50% for a steady spin (90+rpm) but in the first 20km before any climbs the brake locked up no less than 3 times. I get a sudden drop in resistance so pedals just spin free followed by a loud clunking sound then it's almost locked up, trying to set off again is a nightmare I have to pedal very slow (feels like pedaling in squares) till it picks up again and free's itself off. Have now run out of ideas and as much as I want to sort this I feel an ebay add coming on. This was an xmas gift from my girlfriend 2yrs ago and still havn't got past this fault!

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:38 am

Eddy Nuff wrote:Just when you think everything is ok!!!!
Loaded "training with lampre" at minus 50% for a steady spin (90+rpm) but in the first 20km before any climbs the brake locked up no less than 3 times. I get a sudden drop in resistance so pedals just spin free followed by a loud clunking sound then it's almost locked up, trying to set off again is a nightmare I have to pedal very slow (feels like pedaling in squares) till it picks up again and free's itself off. Have now run out of ideas and as much as I want to sort this I feel an ebay add coming on. This was an xmas gift from my girlfriend 2yrs ago and still havn't got past this fault!
I assume you have a Fortius.

Did you check the power plug as described in the first post at the top?

Are you sure the cadence is working correctly?

Return to “Fortius - i-magic - Cosmos”