Intermittent Braking - Check Power Supply Cable Connector

Fortius, i-Magic , Cosmos, Flow , upgrade kits

Moderators: Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Nasz, Fortius Magical Man

armzzzz

Post by armzzzz » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:16 am

Did the software update to 2.03 and just completed a perfect 35km ride on the ventoux. Kudos to Tacx for fixing the problem. Really a great machine once you get it working. Thanks for the help everyone.

kubach

Post by kubach » Sat May 08, 2010 2:26 pm

Hi guys,

I got a brand new fortius yesterday and have spent most of last night updating the SW. Today I connected everything up and found that the unit was braking as mentioned in the thread. I have tightened the screws as described but the unit still brakes continously.

Any thoughts out there??

Mark

ps. I ran the TACX system test and had no problems what so ever with braking. This gets my thoughts into SW/OS compability issues or just a bug in the later releases. I'm going to make a clean installation without the SW updates to see if the problem still exists. There were 3 SW updates that had to be installed after the initial installation!!

pps. OK new installation made on Windows 7 with tacx SW2.0.2.0 . This confirms my prevoius thoughts!!!!! All my intermittant braking issues are gone keeping in mind that I did also have to tighten the screws on my "brand spanking new" power unit. Very poor quality assurance by TACX.

Back to the Issue at hand - TACX has a bug in the SW after 2.0.2.0 when working with Windows 7. I allmost don't dare install the SW updates up to 2.0.5.0 as I know that I at some point will run into the braking issue again and will have to uninstall everything again.

Anybody here working for TACX who can check up on this issue......??

Howsteepisit

Post by Howsteepisit » Sat May 08, 2010 5:55 pm

Most interesting, I have no such issue with Win 7. Guess thats why TTS3 is being developed and tested. Which version of WIn 7 are you running? I am running the 64 bit Home edition.

kubach

Post by kubach » Sat May 08, 2010 7:14 pm

Hi I'm running WIN 7 Home Premium and 32 Bit
Mark

Howsteepisit

Post by Howsteepisit » Sun May 09, 2010 4:02 am

Mark,

Probably best to write to tacx's support for their input They are at support@tacx.nl.

I know that with my Win 7 x64 the updates havenpot really helped but not hurt either. AS always, your milage may vary.

Sfelt

Post by Sfelt » Thu May 13, 2010 9:55 pm

Many thanks MCORN, all four screws flapping in the wind I have no idea how the machine was working at all. Heres hoping for a smooth ride tomorrow morning, if you dont hear from me you know its working :) :) :)

arnaud92

Post by arnaud92 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:49 am

Hello,

I recently had the same intermittent brake problem after 8 months of normal use. I have checked the cadence sensor without success.

I was finally because of 3 of the 4 loose connections !

Thanks for the help

Arnaud

Sfelt

Post by Sfelt » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:57 am

The difference now is fantastic..........a completely different machine, and no more flat spotted tyres!!

paolotom

Post by paolotom » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:24 pm

I have the "intermittent braking" problem.

I tried to follow the instructions on the pdf (http://download111.mediafire.com/srzpdw ... 941.50.pdf)

BUT when I try to "slide the housing of the big plug down the cable by gently feeding the cable towards the Motor-Brake" the big plug doesn't slide down
It seems that there are different version of big plugs and this one seems impossible to open

Did anyone have the same issue ?

Thanks
Paolo

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:22 am

paolotom wrote:I have the "intermittent braking" problem.

I tried to follow the instructions on the pdf (http://download111.mediafire.com/srzpdw ... 941.50.pdf)

BUT when I try to "slide the housing of the big plug down the cable by gently feeding the cable towards the Motor-Brake" the big plug doesn't slide down
It seems that there are different version of big plugs and this one seems impossible to open

Did anyone have the same issue ?

Thanks
Paolo
I've seen several units and they all have the same plug. Sometimes it can be hard to move. Be sure that you have loosened the nut as directed in step 2 as it keeps the cable locked in place.

paolotom

Post by paolotom » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:06 am

[quote="mcorn"] I've seen several units and they all have the same plug. Sometimes it can be hard to move. Be sure that you have loosened the nut as directed in step 2 as it keeps the cable locked in place.[/quote]

Thanks mcorn,
it was very hard to loosen the nut but with an adeguate amount of force I finally managed it.

Paolo

marc9926

Post by marc9926 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:07 pm

Hi all

I have had the intermitent braking problem on a brand new fortius software 2.0.5. I've spoke to the shop that sold me it and they've said that I can send back the motorbrake. It is not to bad, i've done 4.30hrs RLV with no problems but doing ergo with robobank yesterday it locked a couple of times at high watts (300+). I dont really want to send it back as I'll have to post it abroad, but if I cant sort it out, is it the power unit that needs to go back or the motorbrake, all the posts seem to suggest that the power unit is the problem but I've had a look at the wires and they all seem ok. Any advice would be much appreciated.

cyclefin

Post by cyclefin » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:31 am

I've encountered the same problem with the sudden braking. I've checked everything including the connectors.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:33 pm

cyclefin wrote:I've encountered the same problem with the sudden braking. I've checked everything including the connectors.
Sudden braking can also be caused by an improperly adjusted cadence sensor.

JaapW

Re: Intermittent Braking - Check Power Supply Cable Connecto

Post by JaapW » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:52 pm

mcorn wrote:Following these recent discussions mostly from 220 volt users with problems, this morning I checked the wire connections and all 4 wires were loose! 2 of them were so loose that they were falling out of the connector. It's actually a miracle it would work at all.
mcorn: you're a champ!

My Fortius started doing this Intermittent Braking in the past months. I tried everything (new cables, different power outlets, new Windows installation etc), but nothing solved it.

Then, as a last resort I opened this forum (normally I only visit the TTS4 & RLV forums) and I bumped into this topic. Brilliant!

One wire was loose. Tightening the screw did it. Thank you for your clear instructions. Perfect and it gives my Fortius 'another life' :)

Roll on the Roller-Winter! :lol: Now where's that Route des Grandes Alpes?! :D
Jaap Wagenvoort

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:14 am

For some reason, 220 volt units seem to have this problem more than 110. I have a 220 that I have used here for testing and it happened on that one eventhough the 110 volt units were fine. One would have actually expected the version 2 110 volt units to be more prone to this problem because they carry more current, so it must have been a bad batch of older European units. For some folks, the problem got so serious that it melted the plug from arcing.

pasty

Cadence Sensor faulty

Post by pasty » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:29 pm

mcorn wrote:
cyclefin wrote:I've encountered the same problem with the sudden braking. I've checked everything including the connectors.
Sudden braking can also be caused by an improperly adjusted cadence sensor.
Tried everthing from Loose cables on adapter all fine to testing data cable with Ethernet tester to fully updated S/W to 2.0.7.0 on Windows 7 64bit O/S no problems found then finally I have just read your thread mcorn about the cadence sensor and I couldnt believe my eyes when I checked the crank unit and the magnet was missing!!!! Thanks very much for your valued advice.

TACX may want to make a note of this one!! :x

Tony_Bray

Re: Intermittent Braking - Check Power Supply Cable Connecto

Post by Tony_Bray » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:54 pm

Wow! A thousand thanks for posting this solution. I have been plagued by my Fortius working intermittently for the last couple of years and have tried loads of things to try and solve it. Only one wire was fastened in my plug, so got an instant fix with your solution - I'll treat you to a beer, if you're ever in Manchester, UK!

Return to “Fortius - i-magic - Cosmos”