Advice / help please.

Fortius, i-Magic , Cosmos, Flow , upgrade kits

Moderators: Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Fortius Magical Man, Nasz

raymondo

Advice / help please.

Post by raymondo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:28 pm

Hi guys. Fortius Multiplayer with T1932 interface/handlebar unit. Not used the trainer or had the computer switched on for months. Two nights ago checked it and all seemed to be ok. Last night I went to use it and there was an electrical fault in the house which blew the trip in the house consumer unit. Got that sorted but it appears to have killed the computer as although the fans run and the motherboard lights up I can't hear the hard drive working and there are no lights on the handlebar unit. Worried that more than just the computer has been damaged so tried plugging everything into the laptop but there are still no lights on the handlebar unit. Could this be because there is no Tacx software on the laptop or should the handlebar unit light up regardless.
Thanks

mcorn

Re: Advice / help please.

Post by mcorn » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:22 pm

I believe the yellow LED should light up indicating power from the PC. I recall that the green LED lights up when the software is properly connected to the brake. So, if you have no yellow LED, there is likely a problem. Is it possible that the Fortius power supply failed and that is what caused the circuit breaker at your place to open up. A failing Fortius power supply often causes this due to a major power surge. And maybe this failure damaged your computer as well.

One of the negatives of the Fortius is it puts power back into the grid while you pedal. This design feature has created some electrical code compliance issues in certain places where an appliance must be certified for this purpose. I think a number of Fortius power supply failures have been connected with this part of the circuit.

raymondo

Post by raymondo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:40 pm

Thank you for that. Sounds like the whole thing has fried itself. There is a Tacx Flux Direct Drive Turbo Trainer inc Tacx TTS4 Software, Ironman dvd and 11spd Cassette available locally for about £400 so might have a look at that.

raymondo

Post by raymondo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:31 pm

Had a look inside the head unit today (T1932) and it is black and beyond repair. Also stripped down the Power Back unit and where the cable from the head unit plugs in is also burnt. A good electronics man might be able to repair this bit but overall probably not economically viable looking at the price of a head unit.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:16 pm

raymondo wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:31 pm
Had a look inside the head unit today (T1932) and it is black and beyond repair. Also stripped down the Power Back unit and where the cable from the head unit plugs in is also burnt. A good electronics man might be able to repair this bit but overall probably not economically viable looking at the price of a head unit.
The Fortius power supply is complicated beyond belief. Tons of surface mount components. Without schematics and proper test equipment, it really is hopeless.

raymondo

Post by raymondo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:23 pm

Certainly complex but it looks like the damage has been done at the cable socket which goes to the head unit and from there into the computer usb and most likely damaged that. I have a friend looking at the computer so hopefully that is repairable. Other concern is I don't know if the motor brake is damaged or not.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:45 am

raymondo wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:23 pm
Certainly complex but it looks like the damage has been done at the cable socket which goes to the head unit and from there into the computer usb and most likely damaged that. I have a friend looking at the computer so hopefully that is repairable. Other concern is I don't know if the motor brake is damaged or not.
Well, there was a service bulletin on possible loosening of there screws in the input connector. Here is a link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/h21nonzdn ... 0.pdf/file

A forum link as well:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10467#p73260

If you were very lucky, it might only be the connector that has a problem. I did have this happen to me, but it only got slightly loose before I fixed it.

raymondo

Post by raymondo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:07 pm

:shock: Starting to look like it will not be financially viable to repair this so time to look for something else. Probably not the best section to ask this but looking a possibly a Tacx i-Genius T2010 Virtual Reality Trainer - Multiplayer. Can get one new for £305 delivered with TTS4 but this software is not supported anymore so is this a mistake. So many to choose from and I would like to keep using my rlv's with them displayed on a tv screen.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:22 am

I always urge people to take a look at the Flow Smart, particularly if the budget is limited. It's compatible with all ANT+ and Bluetooth software.

I found a new Flow Smart bare brake for $150 and mounted it on an extra Satori-type frame I already had. I did have to do some drilling and grinding, however. But it was a very inexpensive way to get another trainer.

raymondo

Post by raymondo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:22 pm

Not sure what to do for the best. So many to choose from. Ideally want to continue with my existing real life videos. Struggling to find the minimum computer specs for the I Genius T2010 with TTS4 and black track which might help narrow it down.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:13 pm

raymondo wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:22 pm
I Genius T2010 with TTS4 and black track
Be careful when buying to not get the T2000 under the guise of T2010:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=35366
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

raymondo

Post by raymondo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:19 pm

The one I am looking at is this one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TACX-T2010-I ... :rk:1:pf:0

Says it communicates via ANT+ and Bluetooth Smart but no mention of FEC .
Can you help please with the minimum computer specs required for this.

Thank you for your time.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:37 pm

raymondo wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:19 pm
Says it communicates via ANT+ and Bluetooth Smart but no mention of FEC .
What matters is what's actually in the box.
raymondo wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:19 pm
Can you help please with the minimum computer specs required for this.
The bottom of the page:
https://tacx.com/product/tacx-trainer-software-4/

raymondo

Post by raymondo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:00 pm

Thank you for the link on computer specs.. That helps.
Sounds like I would be best to ask what exactly is in the box before committing myself then.

So. Is it definately T2010. Is the handlebar control present. TTS 4 disc. ANT+ antenna. BlackTrack. Anything else?

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:41 pm

raymondo wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:00 pm
So. Is it definately T2010. Is the handlebar control present. TTS 4 disc. ANT+ antenna. BlackTrack. Anything else?
The T2000 also has it all.
If you do not need smart features, then all is well. If you still need smart features, check this label on the electro unit:

raymondo

Post by raymondo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:15 pm

Thanks for all the info Alex and mcorn. Hopefully get sorted this week.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:32 am

Honestly, I think it would be foolish to buy a non-Smart (i.e., not Bluetooth capable) trainer unless you got a giveaway price. Any ANT+ brake must be FEC compliant as well. An ANT+ only trainer may not ever be usable with TDA and TTS4 is not a product for the future. I also think the Genius has only a so-so record in terms of longevity. Having a brake that also motors downhill (or attempts to create the momentum of a large flywheel through motoring) is not all that easy to do well without more expensive hardware and really is not at all necessary in order to have a good trainer.

raymondo

Post by raymondo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:56 pm

More info, thanks mcorn. I am not bothered about having a brake that motors downhill as I have found that annoying in the past in that I am unable to keep my heart rate up during descents. Definitely want a Smart Trainer but it does not appear to be clear ( to me anyway ) which trainers are Bluetooth ANT+ and which are Bluetooth ANT+ and FEC. Need to spend more time trying to research.

What is TDA please

I want this new trainer to last and be the last one I buy as I am over 64 already.

EDIT. Thinking Flow Smart T2240 or Vortex Smart T2180 now.
Last edited by raymondo on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:03 pm

raymondo wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:56 pm
More info, thanks mcorn. I am not bothered about having a brake that motors downhill as I have found that annoying in the past in that I am unable to keep my heart rate up during descents. Definitely want a Smart Trainer but it does not appear to be clear ( to me anyway ) which trainers are Bluetooth ANT+ and which are Bluetooth ANT+ and FEC. Need to spend more time trying to research.

What is TDA please

I want this new trainer to last and be the last one I buy as I am over 64 already.
TDA refers to the relatively new Tacx Desktop App, which requires Windows 10. It is clearly their product of the future. TTS4 will not be supported after March 31, 2019.

Any Tacx trainer with the "Smart" designation will be dual Bluetooth and ANT+ (including FEC) compatible. There were some earlier ANT+ Tacx trainers that used a proprietary protocol to control the brake, so they were not FEC compliant, but all the new ones are. You can always look up a Tacx trainer model number on the Tacx website. Here is a link to their Smart trainers:

https://tacx.com/smart-bike-trainers/

Check out the price on the Flow Smart. The Satori is even less expensive, but you have to manually change brake resistance.

raymondo

Post by raymondo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:05 pm

Thanks again.

Return to “Fortius - i-magic - Cosmos”