A few basic questions on TTS4

Fortius, i-Magic , Cosmos, Flow , upgrade kits

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Tacx support, Fortius Magical Man, Nasz

Jim Newmark

A few basic questions on TTS4

Post by Jim Newmark » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:57 pm

Tacx has left me behind – could someone advise? I started with the Grand Excel in 2000 and upgraded to the T1915 Imagic upgrade in 2006 with the steerer unit etc. I have been really happy with this for winter training - with increasing rust patches where the sweat drips - for the last twelve years. A year ago I (Ebay) upgraded to another similar setup but with added powerback - with the white handlebar unit - this included computer with WinXP and software.
I like the VR and am happy to purchase TTS4 for a bit of added sophistication.
Four questions
1) Am I right in saying that TTS4 does not run on WinXP?
2) If this is correct, can I use my Win10 laptop and is it just a matter of installing the software?
3) Can I still use the Imagic / Fortius motor brake and power back with steerer unit?
4) Are the terrains different from my current ones (Callisto, Atlantis, Extreme MTB
5) Will I still be able to purchase TTS4 as Tacx say that they have just discontinued it? (I am not particularly interested in the fact they won’t support after next year .. in 20 years I have never used it before)

mcorn

Re: A few basic questions on TTS4

Post by mcorn » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:49 pm

You have a lot of questions, some of which are a bit difficult to be definitive on.

W7 up to W10 are required for TTS4:

https://tacx.com/product/tacx-trainer-software-4/

Whether it runs acceptably on your laptop is a "it depends" answer. Tacx has a program for evaluating whether it will:

http://tacx.com/support/SystemRequireme ... r_v120.exe

Lack of support for TTS4 means a lot more than no longer answering questions. It means if TTS4 stops working due to changes in Windows or for any other reason, Tacx will not issue updates, fixes, or patches. You could end up with something that does not function.

One other thing to keep in mind. My guess is your white handlebar controller will only work on a 32-bit operating system. Your laptop is very likely to have 64-bit. If that is the case, there is no way for your brake to talk to your W10 laptop. You would have to find one of the newer 64-bit compatible controllers (they can be expensive) or put a 32-bit OS on your computer (also a bit expensive and a hassle).

Are you using the old Blue Fortius software? Any reason not to stay with it?

Jim Newmark

Post by Jim Newmark » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:38 am

This is so helpful - and quick! Thanks.

Yes, it would be the old Fortius software https://www.lunicus.org/tacx/Fortius.htm Not sure about the Blue. And yes, I understand what you mean about the 32-bit so that is a bit of a downer. You are basically right, there is no particular reason not to stick with what I have apart from it being generally buggy (eg yesterday Catalyst wouldn't count down, just stuck on 10, haven't tried today - a few crashes while loading - and various quirks I have got used to). I suppose that my gaining Extreme MTB on the second-hand upgrade through Ebay was such a nice unexpected bonus that I was wondering what else Tacx had come up with over the years since I last looked.

I find it odd that Tacx plans to abandon VR. I have a couple of RLVs but always found them a bit boring without the means to steer …. presumably the steering frame is now defunct. Even after so many years I find that the interaction with the virtual terrain makes the time go faster and I doubt if a passive interaction with no doubt beautiful scenery from somewhere in the world would compensate. If I did plan to change / upgrade the fact that I can't use my old motor-brake etc and there is no VR would mean that I would look around at the competitors.

I have installed the programme to assess if the laptop would work - and it would apart from the video card ......but the 32-bit puts paid to that anyway.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:45 pm

The "Blue" was just a nickname someone gave to the old Fortius software. I think because there is so much blue on the navigation screens.

I am surprise it is buggy for you. I found it pretty reliable. Did you update it all the way to 2.04. For a while, it would not work if you were connected to the Internet. Don't know if you have tried disconnecting when you use it. You could always try a fresh re-install.

I think the problem for VR is it is expensive software to produce and create new courses in. Some people love it. Others are very indifferent. I think from a marketing standpoint, it is not very profitable. And now there is Zwift.

Jim Newmark

Post by Jim Newmark » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:11 pm

It could be the Net - my home hub is just in range, I didn't think it was a problem and I will try switching that off. It has never crashed during training, which was what my old set-up sometimes did and which I found infuriating. Currently it is tolerable with crashing at the end of a course so I can't save or exit, and not being able to start Catalyst with the countdown stuck on 10, or down to 9 once when I pressed a random key. It is the programme, not the computer, as the mouse works fine. Unfortunately the seller had lost the installation discs so I am stuck - I still have my original Fortius 1.3 installation disc but that is too old I think.
I have only heard of Zwift in the last few days through this Forum. Is a fix possible between my current set-up and that or would it still be the 32-bit problem? On a brief glance it looks hopeful.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:06 pm

Jim Newmark wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:11 pm
Unfortunately the seller had lost the installation discs so I am stuck - I still have my original Fortius 1.3 installation disc but that is too old I think.
The links I provided have downloads for the most recent version. You download 2.02 and 2.03 and 2.04 updates. No need for any code or registration.

Version 1.3 was pretty buggy. The links I provided have all the VR courses as well.

Return to “Fortius - i-magic - Cosmos”