Antifier- Program lets Zwift or TrainerRoad control older Tacx with ANT+

Fortius, i-Magic , Cosmos, Flow , upgrade kits

Moderators: Tacx support, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Fortius Magical Man, Nasz

sralph

Antifier- Program lets Zwift or TrainerRoad control older Tacx with ANT+

Post by sralph » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:12 pm

This is a really cool hack that enables use of older non-smart Tacx trainers with third party SMART apps like Zwift and TrainerRoad. And it's FREE!

"OVERVIEW
This project will enable a Windows or Linux PC to broadcast ANT+ data via a dongle from a Tacx trainer connected to it via USB. This can be either be from a standalone PC broadcasting to a PC or tablet running e.g. Zwift or Trainerroad, or from a Windows PC already running Zwift/ Trainerroad (this PC will therefore require two ANT+ dongles)

It will work as a "Smart Trainer". In "resistance mode" it will control the resistance of the trainer via messages from the application controlling it. i.e. as the hill in Zwift gets steeper, the resistance will increase.
It will also work in "erg mode" e.g. if Trainerroad sets a target wattage of 200W it will alter the resistance so you generate that power at the wheel speed you are at, negating the need for cadence or gear changes.

A note on gradients- Antifier will set the resistance of the trainer according to the data it receives from the app. Zwift has a setting "trainer difficulty" which alters the gradient sent from the gradient ahown on the screen. In its default setting (middle of the slider), the gradient sent to Antifier is approximately 50% of the slope on the screen. In this case a screen 5% slope shows on Antifier as a 2.5% slope. If the slider is moved all the way to the left (off), then Zwift will only send a gradient of 0% regardless of screen slope. If the slider is all the way to the right, then Zwift sends a gradient double that which is shown on the screen, i.e. a 5% slope on the Zwift screen will show in Antifier as 10%. Adjust this slider as required- about 3/4 of the way to the right will result in Zwift sending the same slope it shows on the screen. This will not affect calculated power values sent to an app from Antifier.

Home page: https://github.com/john-38787364/antifier"

ANTIFIER:
ReadMe file: https://github.com/john-38787364/antifi ... README.txt
64 bit: https://github.com/john-38787364/antifi ... ge_x64.EXE
32 bit: https://github.com/john-38787364/antifi ... ge_x32.EXE

This program was created by Github user Johnny Revell who is clearly much smarter than me! In layperson terms what is does is allow third party apps like Zwift or TrainerRoad to control your hard wired Fortius era Tacx trainer using ANT+. This can apparently be accomplished using a single PC or you can use two PC's. Either way you still need two ANT+ sticks.

My personal setup is as follows:
On the trainer side:
- Tacx Fortius trainer with 1942 head unit
- MS Surface Pro with Windows 10 64 bit
- USB hub (the Surface only has a single USB 3.0 connection and I need at least two USB connections for this)
- Garmin ANT+ USB stick
- TTS4 is installed on this PC (but unnecessary)
- Antifier app (https://github.com/john-38787364/antifier)

Zwift/Trainer Road PC:
- Windows 10 PC (Surface Pro 5 with Windows 10 64 bit)
- Garmin ANT+ USB dongle
- Sean

karhux

Re: Antifier- Program lets Zwift or TrainerRoad control older Tacx with ANT+

Post by karhux » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:18 pm

maybe it fits in here:

i bought the new Flux (no belt slipping so far) and did not throw away my Fortius steering unit (nor the Fortius itself). Selling won't give you more than 100€ in Germany - but i doubt you find a buyer at all for the large old device. So i kept it.
Nice thing: If you connect the Flux to the TTS4 (ANT* dongle) you can still connect the steering device to the TTS4. So i can use the complete features of TTS without purchasing a steering unit. And yeah, maybe Tacx and Zwift will put this feature into Watopia.
Geräte: Tacx Flux, Tacx Fortius, TTS4

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:32 pm

karhux wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:18 pm
maybe it fits in here:

i bought the new Flux (no belt slipping so far) and did not throw away my Fortius steering unit (nor the Fortius itself). Selling won't give you more than 100€ in Germany - but i doubt you find a buyer at all for the large old device. So i kept it.
Nice thing: If you connect the Flux to the TTS4 (ANT* dongle) you can still connect the steering device to the TTS4. So i can use the complete features of TTS without purchasing a steering unit. And yeah, maybe Tacx and Zwift will put this feature into Watopia.
In many ways the older hard-wired USB connected Imagic/Fortius steerer worked much better than the newer wireless ANT Blacktrack. While the older steerer occasionally had some mechanical problems (that were usually fixable), the Blacktrack would wear very quickly and start binding and I never had much luck in getting it fixed. So, I assume you use a Fortius handlebar interface, which is what the steerer connects to. Also, I am curious how you anchor the older steerer frame so it does not move around.

karhux

Post by karhux » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:45 am

I still the use steering frame (Lenkrahmen) T1905 and the handlebar interface (Steuergerät) T1932.

No part is moving around. I took one of these and cut smaller pieces out of it for putting them under each floor touching point.: www.hornbach.de/shop/Waschmaschinenunte ... _765168959 . I unscrewed the T1905 from the Fortius. What remains is a quite stable frame. As your bike is really locked into the Flux the whole setup won't jump or brake even if you stand up during pedaling.

I kept the T1932 which enables me to control the TTS4 nicely. AND i think sooner or later Zwift will incorporate a steering feature.

But after doing some rounds in Zwift, Trainerroad not even yet Bkool or Fulgaz...i don't see the point so much anymore for a ride in TTS4. No extra money required is the main advantage of TacxTrainerSoftware4. All others are ~10€ each per month (120€ p.y. - each)
I did not like the virtual world of Tacx that much as all levels of opponents from light to hard were taking off after 15min and never seen again. In Zwift there's always somebody on the same level to race against.

Calibration is a thing though. If you run Traineroad or Zwift - calibrate in their tool. If you cycle in TTS4 use TTS4 calibration. And cycle first some minutes befor you calibrate or do it right after your training session.
Last edited by karhux on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

halienz

Post by halienz » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:28 am

This looks quite goodm however I have some teething problems...

I have got the simulation to work. However, there is no way on my Windows 7 SP1 machine to select anything other than the tacx, windriver or juntgo drivers after uninstalling the existing driver when I select "browse".

As a 64 bit system, the tacx head unit is not detected (Fortius 1932), if I try the 32 bit version (just to see what happends), I get a no driver message. That's obviously due to the Jungo driver still being in use).

The Ant+ dongle's already installed - how am I supposed to use it's drivers for the tacx with no inf file?

>>>Anyone got any hints (or specific info - haha).

Cheers
P

davidgun

Post by davidgun » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:42 pm

Im still trying to get this to work with my 1932. When i install the driver for the VR i'm not browsing for a .inf file. I select "Let me pick form a list of available drivers" It seems to install the driver. I still cant connect though, Let me know if you have any luck

Edit. I just tried to install on a different PC with Win10 and it seems to connect ok. So maybe windows7 is the issue. I know the author of the program was testing on win10

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:19 pm

davidgun wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:42 pm
I just tried to install on a different PC with Win10 and it seems to connect ok. So maybe windows7 is the issue. I know the author of the program was testing on win10
But does it work?

davidgun

Post by davidgun » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:58 pm

mcorn wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:19 pm
davidgun wrote:
I just tried to install on a different PC with Win10 and it seems to connect ok. So maybe windows7 is the issue. I know the author of the program was testing on win10
But does it work?
I can't say yet. My win10 PC is in an unfortunate location not suitable for my bike. I'm still working on getting it going on Win7 before I consider moving the win10 PC

davidgun

Post by davidgun » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:39 pm

mcorn wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:19 pm
davidgun wrote:
But does it work?
It does now. I gave up on my 32bit win7 pc but got it working on a 64bit win7 pc.

DerPedda

Post by DerPedda » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:59 pm

Hi all,

days are getting shorter again...
I still have an old Tacx Fortius that I'm not using anymore and so do 2 more friends.

@sralph: are you still using this setup?
Any new experiences in the last 9 months?

Is there any interaction required on the device running Antifier?
Otherwise I would give it a try with a Raspberry Pi without any input or output device connected to it.

BR, Peter

kabanez2

Post by kabanez2 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:05 pm

Has anyone already tried?

Mirco

mgdiesel

Post by mgdiesel » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:15 pm

Yes it works. I used it with a raspberry Pi ZeroW and a PC setup.
The PiZeroW struggles to keep up the calculations. This is not ideal

The PC setup works, Zwift sees the Powermeter and Controlable. I Struggle to get the power settings right. I rode the Innsbruck course, the 7> percent climb has a bad performance. Some development and is needed there.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:19 pm

mgdiesel wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:15 pm
Yes it works. I used it with a raspberry Pi ZeroW and a PC setup.
The PiZeroW struggles to keep up the calculations. This is not ideal

The PC setup works, Zwift sees the Powermeter and Controlable. I Struggle to get the power settings right. I rode the Innsbruck course, the 7> percent climb has a bad performance. Some development and is needed there.
Sounds like you are saying it works, but barely or not very well. So, I think you are saying the program loads, but does not perform as needed.

kabanez2

Post by kabanez2 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:07 pm

you can take a guide on how to do that I would also like to try zwfit

NicolasBMC

Post by NicolasBMC » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:03 pm

Hi,

a great way to use the old Fortius in a "smart" way.

I have the setup installed, it works too. However, I have difficulties with the watts in Zwift. My Fortius (or Antifier) shows me a watt performance that is well above that in Zwift (50% difference, which, in my opinion, is the correct one from Antifier). A change of the power slider causes the change in the slope, but does not change the low power displayed. Does anyone have an idea why that may be?

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:27 pm

NicolasBMC wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:03 pm
Hi,

a great way to use the old Fortius in a "smart" way.

I have the setup installed, it works too. However, I have difficulties with the watts in Zwift. My Fortius (or Antifier) shows me a watt performance that is well above that in Zwift (50% difference, which, in my opinion, is the correct one from Antifier). A change of the power slider causes the change in the slope, but does not change the low power displayed. Does anyone have an idea why that may be?
Sounds similar to other reports. While the program may load, it has bugs.

tacx@selund.se

Post by tacx@selund.se » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:44 pm

I'm completely new to this indoor bike thing, and at the moment I don't have much experience with this kind of equipment.
That being said, I've tried to get this to work, and, well, it hasn't been smooth sailing. However today I noticed one thing that can improve things somewhat. Try to keep away from the highest gears, and things start to work quite allot better. The watt calculations seems to become more plausible, and I'm no longer coasting at 100W.... In theory this should be a good option, but it needs some work.

Return to “Fortius - i-magic - Cosmos”