Flow Calibrating Too Tight

Fortius, i-Magic , Cosmos, Flow , upgrade kits

Moderators: mcorn, Tacx Moderator, malfukt, Tacx support, Fortius Magical Man, Nasz

Dorsetsi

Flow Calibrating Too Tight

Post by Dorsetsi » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:24 pm

Hi,

I have been using my Tacx Flow calibrated at what I assume was a too loose setting since I bought it a couple of weeks ago. I followed the usual suggestion of touching the tyre and a little tighter to ensure properly contacted. I had run the calibration app, vut read it wrong, as the indicator arrow was right on the edge of the screen at "too loose". After realising this when re-calibrating tonight I managed to get the indicator into the green zone between too tight and too loose. However, this meant an incredibly tight lock against the tyre that seems to be indenting it quite a bit. On testing it in zwift I am struggling to get it up to any reasonable wattage, as it seems a lot harder to ride. Is this normal?

I am sure I was running it too loose previously and it was possibly slipping under high resistance (felt "lumpy" when riding), but now seems ridiculously tight.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4v8ig4ztf8gy7 ... 9.jpg?dl=0

Alex Masalovich

Re: Flow Calibrating Too Tight

Post by Alex Masalovich » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:43 pm

Have updated the firmware, right? This is the cause of the problem, probably.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

Dorsetsi

Post by Dorsetsi » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:02 am

Yes, I updated the firmware on day one to 3.1.22 / 0.4.3. No other updates showing.

Do you agree this looks too tight?

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:23 am

Dorsetsi wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:02 am
Yes, I updated the firmware on day one to 3.1.22 / 0.4.3. No other updates showing.

Do you agree this looks too tight?
That looks pretty tight to me, but it is a little hard to tell from a picture. If you have to apply lots of pressure to get it to lock into place, it is too tight. Do not be overly concerned about the red green zone. It is just a guideline. The main thing is that the tire does not slip on hills, which can cause overheating and tire wear.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:17 am

Dorsetsi wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:02 am
New firmware - new problems.

How to return to the old firmware. There are two ways.

The first way. It allows you to return the second part of the firmware to 0.3.4. This way is for use on a Windows-based computer with an ANT+ antenna:

1) download the Updater from here (no installation required):
https://yadi.sk/d/1J53YYde36LahA
unpack the archive.
Do not perform this step if you have installed the TTS4 and the Updater is already in the folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Tacx\TacxTrainersoftware4\updater

2) download the firmware 0.3.4 from here:
http://patches.tacxdata.com/data/files/ ... ke_034.bin

3) for the firmware procedure is also required to have an ANT+ antenna for which you need drivers. If such drivers are not yet installed, download them from here:
https://yadi.sk/d/9jp3UJKk33UFb4
unpack the archive and run the file TacxDriversSetup.exe as administrator.
Do not perform this step if the drivers for the ANT+ antenna already installed (for example, when installing Zwift or TTS4).

4) when ready, place the trainer as close as possible to the ANT+ antenna and run the file TacxUpdate.exe from the folder with the Updater. Before you run the utility disconnect the Internet, otherwise the utility will report that there are no updates.

The second way. Request the firmware file from the support@tacx.com. You need to open this file using the Tacx utility app. If you follow this way, please post here a link to the received firmware file for other users.

Dorsetsi

Post by Dorsetsi » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:31 pm

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I get to the part where the update tool asks me to enter the serial number of the device, and then it sits there trying to connect. Any ideas, anything I need to do, i.e. order i plug in ANT+ dongle or plug in the trainer? I have zwift installed and have been using the ANT+ dongle on that, so I have not installed the Tacx drivers as instructed.

Simon

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:43 pm

Dorsetsi wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:31 pm
Unfortunately, I get to the part where the update tool asks me to enter the serial number of the device, and then it sits there trying to connect.
This procedure is fastidious. It may take several attempts. It is possible that the ANT+ channel is busy or the trainer is busy with the previous connections. Therefore, restart the computer and restart the trainer. The ANT+ antenna should be as close as possible to the trainer! The Internet should be turned off!

Dorsetsi

Post by Dorsetsi » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:17 pm

Still no luck after many attempts to connect. I think I will have to try Tacx support email then.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:31 pm

Not sure, but maybe, after all, the reason is in the drivers. Try the drivers from Tacx. Including the latest version 1230:
http://tacxdata.com/files/support/TacxDrivers1230.zip

Dorsetsi

Post by Dorsetsi » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:43 pm

No luck I am afraid, tried many times with the new driver.

I received a very unhelpful reply from Taxc support email when I requested the firmware downgrade help (which they ignored):
Dear Simon

When we check (https://www.dropbox.com/s/4v8ig4ztf8gy7 ... 9.jpg?dl=0) then this is the correct setup of tighting the trainer
See also attached picture
Also because you are not using a training tyre, there is a possibility to create slip. Then tighting the roller is the solution

Kind Regards

Tacx Support
I am convinced that the tyre is far too tight when calibrating it via the app, so it seems I will have to calibrate it myself and risk the calibration being off in Zwift. Very frustrating and erodes my confidence in the kit. I will try and get a power meter to test how far off the trainer is calibrating by hand only as tight as to reduce slipping under intensive load.

Return to “Fortius - i-magic - Cosmos”