Tacx turbo trainer tyre psi

Moderators: Tacx support, JörgenJ, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production, malfukt, Steve Newton

J99GMR

Tacx turbo trainer tyre psi

Post by J99GMR » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:44 pm

Hi, I'm very new to cycling and have a Tacx Flow smart trainer and Tacx turbo tyre.

The issue I have is the tyre pressure. I just can not get the pressure above 60psi.

The tyre feels very hard to touch, and pushing on the pump, I can not physically get any more air in it.

I've read the pressure needs to be 100psi to collaborate with the Tacx App. When I try and collaborate, the App says there was an error and to try again.

Any suggestions?

ttelmah

Re: Tacx turbo trainer tyre psi

Post by ttelmah » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:30 pm

What sort of pump are you using?.
Your tyre will have on the side it's recommended minimum and maximum pressures. Typically a 700C tyre will have something like 100psi min 140psi max. However something like a standard 26" road tyre will only want perhaps 60psi. You should be inflating to about 15psi below the maximum figure for your tyre. A standard old bike pump will only get to perhaps 80psi max. High pressure pumps have a smaller diameter to allow them to push the higher pressure. You do need to be getting to the higher pressure if this is what your tyre is rated for. You may need a better pump.

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:28 pm

J99GMR wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:44 pm
Hi, I'm very new to cycling and have a Tacx Flow smart trainer and Tacx turbo tyre.

The issue I have is the tyre pressure. I just can not get the pressure above 60psi.

The tyre feels very hard to touch, and pushing on the pump, I can not physically get any more air in it.

I've read the pressure needs to be 100psi to collaborate with the Tacx App. When I try and collaborate, the App says there was an error and to try again.

Any suggestions?
Not sure what kind of a pump you are using. For inside use, a vertical floor pump with a gauge is best. If the tire feels very hard, there is either something wrong with your tire pressure gauge or you are misreading it. 60 psi feels somewhat soft. I pump my tire to around 140 psi and only at that point does it gets to be somewhat hard to push my floor pump.

J99GMR

Post by J99GMR » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:36 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. It guess may be the pump then. It is a vertical floor pump with a guage on it, but it was bought from Aldi, so i guess it may not be accurate. I've ordered a guage from Amazon, to see how it compares.

The tyre is a blue Tacx trainer tyre, 700x23 and I have a 700x18-25c inner tube from Halfords in it.

May also have to invest in a new pump.

Thanks again for the help. 👍

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:10 pm

J99GMR wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:36 pm
Thanks for the replies guys. It guess may be the pump then. It is a vertical floor pump with a guage on it, but it was bought from Aldi, so i guess it may not be accurate. I've ordered a guage from Amazon, to see how it compares.

The tyre is a blue Tacx trainer tyre, 700x23 and I have a 700x18-25c inner tube from Halfords in it.

May also have to invest in a new pump.

Thanks again for the help. 👍
Sometimes the one-way valve in pumps stick and won't let air go into the tire. When this happens, the pump gets almost impossible to pump. You need to experiment with getting the pump nozzle and presto valve working right. Also, you may need to start with the air pressure somewhat low.

ttelmah

Post by ttelmah » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:14 pm

Bike tyres (and car tyres) have their recommended minimum and maximum pressures marked on the sidewall. You want to be running close to the maximum (perhaps 5-10psi below this).

Return to “General Training topics”