Riding a real route on Neo

Moderators: Tacx support, JörgenJ, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production, malfukt, Steve Newton

limbovski

Riding a real route on Neo

Post by limbovski » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:06 pm

What's the easiest way to upload a file from strava or Garmin to it to simulate that route on a Neo? Or can it be done?

Alex Masalovich

Re: Riding a real route on Neo

Post by Alex Masalovich » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:04 am

With the Garmin 1000 it is also possible to ride GPS tracks were the program will control the resistance (like with Tacx Trainer Software or Zwift). Connect the trainer as indoor trainer.
Source: https://support.tacx.com/hc/en-us/artic ... 865-Garmin
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:34 pm

Keep in mind that even with 1-second recording, often times recorded routes need to have the elevation profile 'smoothed' so as to prevent the training application from rendering subtle changes in terrain with huge gradients.
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart [formerly Bushido & Fortius]
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz
GeForce GTX 870M | 256 GB SSD x 2 RAID 0 + 1 TB HDD
Samsung 32" LED TV

limbovski

Post by limbovski » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:38 pm

Thanks a lot!

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:36 pm

ms6073 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:34 pm
Keep in mind that even with 1-second recording, often times recorded routes need to have the elevation profile 'smoothed' so as to prevent the training application from rendering subtle changes in terrain with huge gradients.
That is absolutely essential, particularly if you are on a road on the side of a mountain. Normal GPS variability and errors can make the course go down a cliff or up the side of the mountain in just a few feet and will make the ride unusable. There are a number of free smoothing utilities, including this one on a site that has a lot of good Tacx software information:

http://www.lunicus.org/tacx/GPXsmoother.htm

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:26 pm

mcorn wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:36 pm
Normal GPS variability and errors can make the course go down a cliff or up the side of the mountain in just a few feet and will make the ride unusable.
+1. Back when I still had a valid Google license, I tried to use the Real Life Training program to ride a route on roads recorded from my Garmin Edge 500 with 1-second smart recording. Even though the route had less than a 1% variance in gradient for the first few miles, upon playback in TTS, a minor dip in the road of less than 1-2 feet and spanning only about 50-75 meters was rendered as an ~6% instant uphill gradient, shortly followed by a ~5% descent!
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart [formerly Bushido & Fortius]
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz
GeForce GTX 870M | 256 GB SSD x 2 RAID 0 + 1 TB HDD
Samsung 32" LED TV

ttelmah

Post by ttelmah » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:07 pm

If you take a genuine GPS route, from a device that has barometric altimetry, these are normally pretty good.
However from a normal GPS, altitude is the least accurate measurement, with sudden jumps if there are things interfering with the direct path.
I remember riding past a multi storey building, and seeing the altitude on my display jump over 15m. The GPS figure if you stay still will be quite good, but the figure as you ride often jumps. Units with barometric altitude usually need to be stationary for several seconds at the start, to synchronise the barometer, and if this is not done, it can suddenly jump when the unit decides it has an accurate altitude figure. It's also surprising how often the default setting has the barometry disabled....
The altimetry recorded with Google Earth, is based on the altitude recorded by their StreetView cars, modifying a standard altimetry model. It quite commonly has similar jumps. Particularly as you turn off roads, where it shifts between the car figure and the standard model. Great if you want to know if you are at 50m or 100m, but not much use for changes of only a few meters.
Smoothing the altitude data, really should be standard, but as the software currently stands you have to do this yourself. However take the time to do this, and the behaviour can be very good indeed.

Return to “General Training topics”