Creating GPS routes

Moderators: JörgenJ, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production, malfukt, Steve Newton, Tacx support

TacxMan2017

Creating GPS routes

Post by TacxMan2017 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:22 am

I tend to create routes in Strava, export and then import into TTS4. For the most part, the rides seem fine except for the occasional brainfart where the gradient goes a little crazy and results in some mad speeds, even if it's only for a few seconds.

I had a look at creating routes in TTS4 and the process was straightforward enough but the elevation profile just doesn't look right in comparison...it looks too jagged if that makes sense?

Anyway, I was wondering what apps/sites people here use to create routes and are there any pros or cons with them?

Thanks for any help.

thebigoneinfront

Re: Creating GPS routes

Post by thebigoneinfront » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:08 pm

It all depends on the digital elevation model that's behind the route creator program. Most of them have too little resolution to be useful for creating GPS rides for the Tacx, except if you happen to be at a place where the terrain can be easily modelled - plains or switchbacks on a large mountain flank can be fine. The better DEMs aren't free. In any way, you need to smooth the heck out of the profile. One good smoothing tool is here http://www.lunicus.org/tacx/GPXsmoother.htm.

The best you can get as a basis for a Tacx GPS ride are data recorded by barometric altimeters, e.g. recorded on the higher-end Garmin edge or fenix devices. These still need some smoothing, but are far better starting points for creating Tacx GPS Rides. So it's better to download someone's ride data from Strava or elsewhere and work from there than generating a route in a route planner.

malfukt

Post by malfukt » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:42 pm

I use Garmin Edge outdoor rides and 3D RouteBuilder for smoothing (not a lot required) great combination.. downloads from mapmyride & strava etc require more smoothing usually needing to highlight specific points to make more realistic (instead of being launchpads to the moon :shock: )
i7-950 Processor (4cores 3.06 GHz)
2xBIOS settings 1 overclocked to 4.3ghz
6G RAM dominator 1600Mhz
MSI NVIDIA 560 ti 1GB
CRUCIAL SSD
NEOx1 GENIUS. BUSHIDO smart
TTS beta vers 4.22.5 & TDA beta & TCA beta

jtuds

Post by jtuds » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:45 am

The google street view is not a continuous video, right? It's just basically like opening street view in a browser and constantly clicking the forward area to progress down a street....I saw a clip of it and it looked very disappointing....very choppy...

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:14 pm

jtuds wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:45 am
The google street view is not a continuous video, right? It's just basically like opening street view in a browser and constantly clicking the forward area to progress down a street....I saw a clip of it and it looked very disappointing....very choppy...
You are correct.

ttelmah

Post by ttelmah » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:18 pm

However you shouldn't be.....

On Google maps, look along a road in StreetView. Now push the up-arrow. You should see a relatively smoother progression. Still not 'video', but much more progressive.

Now unfortunately, while this was how StreetView used to work with the Google Earth API, since the update to 'maps', Tacx have never re-written the interface to use this ability of the API, instead they request a picture at a location, then another, then another, so the progress is much worse...

StreetView is never going to give video (the way the camera works, is that it takes an image like the old slit cameras used for taking school photographs - so a strip of image going round the full circle, and then coming back to the starting point some metres up the road - about 5m normally I'd estimate). So you can only get an image this often up the road, However working properly it was quite good.

Return to “General Training topics”