Problem with Tacx Neo/Tacx IOS app

Moderators: Tacx support, JörgenJ, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production, malfukt, Steve Newton

RoseRed

Problem with Tacx Neo/Tacx IOS app

Post by RoseRed » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:07 am

Riding my Tacx Neo using the IOS app, target HR 100bpm. After approx 5 mins with HR at around 110bpm the resistance suddenly increased to the point that I couldn't turn the pedals, and wouldn't unlock until I unplugged the trainer. I abandoned the workout and tried again with Zwift and didn't have a problem. Does this sound like a problem with the trainer or the app? Or the user?!

Mickb

Re: Problem with Tacx Neo/Tacx IOS app

Post by Mickb » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:47 am

Now that's strange!
I was browsing to see if there was any evidence of users encountering a similar problem which I found this evening. Using a Neo not with the app but with TTS4 PWC 170 Workout. The symptoms I encountered are very similar to those you describe. The workout involves increasing the power (+20 watts every 2 minutes) until you reach 170 bpm heart rate, at which point you complete the 2 minute block & end the test.
During the 250 watts target block at around 23 minutes and with approx 150 bpm heart rate, the pedals suddenly stiffened to the point where I could not turn them. Lightening the gears allowed me to pedal again but within a few turns the resistance went back up to mega stiff. Obviously, this was an end to any test and when I started another programme the trainer was back to normal. Might be related to your issue? Perhaps someone more knowledgeable might have an idea what happened.

ms6073

Post by ms6073 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:55 am

RoseRed wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:07 am
After approx 5 mins with HR at around 110bpm the resistance suddenly increased to the point that I couldn't turn the pedals
While I would think ending the training program should have reduced the resistance, that is a well-known issue with Tacx's HR based training in both the Tacx app and Tacx Trainer Software on PC. While it would be nice to see the issue fixed, switching to power-based workouts is a lot easier to handle and typically does not suffer such surprises.
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64 | Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz | GeForce GTX 870M
Samsung 32" LED TV

RoseRed

Post by RoseRed » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:07 am

Thanks, that's really helpful, will stick to power next time.

Mickb

Post by Mickb » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:18 am

Yep, makes sense!
Thanks for the insight. I ran a power based only programme immediately after the failed PWC test without any issue so will avoid anything involving heart rate for the sake of my knees!! (Had assumed that the heart rate element of this test would be advisory only; just telling you when to finish)

Return to “General Training topics”