New TACX Trainer tyre So noisey

Moderators: Tacx support, JörgenJ, mcorn, Tacx Moderator, Tacx Video Production, malfukt, Steve Newton

mickyduck

New TACX Trainer tyre So noisey

Post by mickyduck » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:15 pm

Hi I have just replaced my well worm Continental black trainer tyre with a nice shiny blue TACX one. It squeals very loudly as if it is always slipping. I have it at 100 PSI (6.6 Bar) and calibration is fine and roller is clean. I note there is a very fine "moulding bead" round the centre circumference but I cannot believe this would cause so much noise.... does anyone else have this issue and if so is there a cure?
I may have to get the old one back out of the bin before it is taken away :roll:

ms6073

Re: New TACX Trainer tyre So noisey

Post by ms6073 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:47 pm

I had similar experiences with the Tacx Blue trainer tire, although I inflated it to 120 psi (8.2 bar), the tire usually quieted down a bit by the end of a 40-45 minute trainer session. Having tried trainer tires from Tacx, Kenda, Vittoria, and Continental, while the Kenda trainer tire was the most quiet, it was also the shortest lived as it kept developing bulges, most likely from breaking cords due to the heat. My personal preference was the Continental black trainer tire which is also very quiet.
Last edited by ms6073 on Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TTS 4.19.1 | T2800 NEO Smart [formerly Bushido & Fortius]
MSI GS70 Laptop | Windows 10 x64
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.40 GHz | 16 Gb DDR3 1600 MHz
GeForce GTX 870M | 256 GB SSD x 2 RAID 0 + 1 TB HDD
Samsung 32" LED TV

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:29 pm

I have had Tacx tyres of rather varying quality. Not sure who actually makes the tyres for Tacx I would expect the squeaking to improve as the rubber breaks in and the moulding bead wears off. 6.6 bar seems a bit low to me, I always used 8 bar, just as on the road. At risk of asking for the hundredth time, you calibrate the brake after warming it up?

The most durable trainer tyre we ever had was an orange Conti on my wife's Fortius. Looks awful when combined with a blue Tacx trainer, luckily Conti now makes them black.

mickyduck

Post by mickyduck » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:04 pm

Thanks for the replies.. put it up to 8 Bar and then calibrated after warm up (as usual but I find calibration is usually not requireds provided I inflate to the same pressure before I start).. did 80 mins and it was fine... squeaking must have been because too much tyre in contact with the roller.

After reading your replies should have just bought another Conti.... but as I said seems Ok with more air in it.

mickyduck

Post by mickyduck » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:30 pm

Blue plastic moulding bead gone.. splattered against the wall in my spare bedroom... now even quieter than the old Conti :D

mickyduck

Post by mickyduck » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:17 pm

This has turned out to be a very poor buy.. It has done 1396 km since fitting. It has been inflated to 120 PSI as stated on the product and I ride at less than 30Km / hour with a average power of less than 150... It really should last longer than this
Attachments
IMG_25261.jpg
IMG_25261.jpg (26.7 KiB) Viewed 3432 times

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:32 pm

:shock: Looks like a clear warranty case.

Balrog

Post by Balrog » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:55 pm

That was my experience with the tacx blue tyre. While vacationing in NM, I encountered a nasty thorn known as a goathead. 1st ride was through town, so I was none the wiser. I get out into the country and I'm blowing tires every couple of miles. Soon I'm plodding towards home when a local cyclist stopped and filled me in. Taking his advice on tire liners and/or kevlar tires. I did both. I didn't give it a second thought when I got back and put the bike back on my Fortius. That kevlar tire lasted two winter seasons on the trainer! Your mileage may vary, but the expense of the kevlar tire was worth it. PS: so far as I know, most conventional road tires are quieter than specialty trainer tires.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:04 pm

Did you actually use a trainer tyre outside on the road?
I don't have a Tacx trainer tyre at hand, but the Conti cleary state trainer use only. As far I remember, the Tacx do so, too.

Balrog

Post by Balrog » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:16 pm

Never took the blue tire out on the road. Didn't use it on the trainer because of the noise - two or three sessions.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:23 pm

Ok, then I misunderstood your post
I had varied experience with the blue tyres. My guess is that Tacx have them manufactured by whatever tyre manufacturer makes the best offer for the next batch. You may just have had bad luck. Which isn't an excuse, I prefer consistent high quality as well.

Balrog

Post by Balrog » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:28 am

thebigoneinfront wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:04 pm
Did you actually use a trainer tyre outside on the road?
I don't have a Tacx trainer tyre at hand, but the Conti cleary state trainer use only. As far I remember, the Tacx do so, too.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. The story was a lead into what I actually use on the Fortius. I used the blue tire two-three times and set it aside (noise) in favor of a conventional tire. After vacation I used the kevlar tire to find it was very high return on investment despite the stresses of a trainer. (it was a pricey tire).

Return to “General Training topics”