Question about Tacx Films

Moderators: Tacx Video Production, malfukt, Steve Newton, Tacx support, JörgenJ, mcorn, Tacx Moderator

jtuds

Question about Tacx Films

Post by jtuds » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:53 am

If I download a Tacx Film - say Stelvio, and I speed up or slow down while riding/watching the video, does the video also speed up and slow down with me, or does it stay at one steady pace?

In other words, is it possible to be ahead of or behind the part of the video that is on the screen because you are riding at a different pace than the person who took the video? If you completely stop, does the video stop too?

thebigoneinfront

Re: Question about Tacx Films

Post by thebigoneinfront » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:51 am

The video runs at the speed you ride on the trainer. If you stop, it will stop.

If it runs ahead or lags behind, you have an issue with the vidoe player. This was the case in the early days of Windows 10 and TTS's videoplayer 2.

jtuds

Post by jtuds » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Ok thanks for the response, I get the impression that this isn't necessarily the case with some of the other services that offer these sorts of training videos....

I just was not sure if I should buy the training software as I realized the google street view routes you can create are not displayed as a smooth continuous video, but instead a series of jump-ahead progressions as if looking at street view in your computer. I wanted to make sure Tacx films work as expected. Seems like they do.

Thanks again...

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:36 pm

There are indeed some training videos that are not synchronised. You can also use the cost-free Tacx Video Player (https://tacx.com/product/tacx-video-player/) to play the Tacx RLVs in non-synchronised manner. So it also depends on the software you use.

For StreetView, I'm afraid no software on Earth can turn the sequence of photos that is StreetView into a continuous smooth film. The human eye needs at least about 24 frames per second to see a smooth film, so StreetView would have had to be photographed at a rate of one picture every 0.35 m to make a smooth film, assuming you are travelling at 30 km/h. Even more pictures where you are slower, eg in the mountains. That's quite some amount of data to collect for the whole planet...

As an aside, I wouldn't invest in software this month. Eurobike trade show is rapidly approaching and if Tacx have to make any announcements, they will make them there. I think Tacx need to come up with something new in the software department to keep up with their competitors.

jtuds

Post by jtuds » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:28 pm

Hmmmm....so have I jumped the gun by buying anTacx Neo? Will something newer and better be introduced in a month?

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:16 pm

jtuds wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:28 pm
Hmmmm....so have I jumped the gun by buying anTacx Neo? Will something newer and better be introduced in a month?
I think you are safe with the Neo.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:20 pm

thebigoneinfront wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:36 pm
For StreetView, I'm afraid no software on Earth can turn the sequence of photos that is StreetView into a continuous smooth film. The human eye needs at least about 24 frames per second to see a smooth film, so StreetView would have had to be photographed at a rate of one picture every 0.35 m to make a smooth film, assuming you are travelling at 30 km/h. Even more pictures where you are slower, eg in the mountains. That's quite some amount of data to collect for the whole planet...
It's not obligatory. Intermediate frames could be created by the user's computer by interpolation.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:52 pm

To create a film from pictures many meters apart, as StreetView presently is? I don't believe that's reasonably possible for trainer riding nowadays. Maybe in some years.

thebigoneinfront

Post by thebigoneinfront » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:55 pm

jtuds wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:28 pm
As I said, I wouldn't invest in software right now. Neo is hardware... :D You'll be fine with the Neo.

Alex Masalovich

Post by Alex Masalovich » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:59 pm

thebigoneinfront wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:52 pm
To create a film from pictures many meters apart, as StreetView presently is? I don't believe that's reasonably possible for trainer riding nowadays. Maybe in some years.
Yes, of course. We are talking about the distant future.
Тренируйтесь много, отдыхайте ещё больше!

jtuds

Post by jtuds » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:59 pm

The way Tacx markets the google street view create-a-route feature, I believed it would be more smooth than if I sat at my laptop in google street view clicking the arrow...

mcorn

Post by mcorn » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:34 pm

When the Street View concept was first introduced by Tacx, there was a lot of discussion on the forum of stitching together a series of still photos into a semi-smooth running video. That was a number of years ago and not much has really changed. If you do an Internet search, you can find some videos that have been constructed from Street View images, but what I saw was never a real time, on-the-fly process. I think most of it required a slow building of the video by computer processing.

On the other hand, on a few occasions I did use the Tacx Street View function to sample a real life ride that I was interested in trying for the first6. It helped to give me a flavor of what the area and landscape looked like.

ttelmah

Post by ttelmah » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:37 pm

Unfortunately this is an area that went 'backwards' with the later Google implementation.

On the older system, Google moved you along a 'route'. Now it didn't approach video, but it was quite good.
It performed a form of amorphous stretch to interpolate between frames on the route.

Even the current implementation would be quite a reasonable 'low rate' semi video, it it chose the right frames,
however since the launch of the later system, it chooses frames terribly.

You get it displaying multiple frames at the same point, often rotating the point of view, and then updating
several hundred feet in one jump.

You do get a better display just using Streetview in maps, and using the movement buttons (though
even this is not as good as the old system).

Return to “General Training topics”